Great ways to learn bass?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Farthes, Jan 22, 2005.

1. Farthes

Jan 15, 2005
    San Diego
    An earlier topic I wrote about was a suggestion about getting my first bass. I was talking to my cousins mom and she said she gets her son stuff from musician's friend because they normally have good merchandise and great deals. So later that night I found

Based on the reviews I decided to purchase it. Just got it yesterday and I must say I am having a blast with it. The video it comes with isn't too great but it is helping me get down my form and learning some basic stuff.

Anyway as the topic stated I am interested in some other great ways of learning bass.

Thanks in advance! :bassist:
  2. Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    My suggestion would be lessons, but if you can't afford 1 on 1 lessons, or don't feel like paying that much, you could try It's has "bass baby steps" or something along those lines, and many other courses that would do you a lot of good. I am taking jazz improv and having a blast with it. Check General Technique, and there's a sticky with it.
  3. JTGale

Oct 26, 2004
    Hummelstown, PA
    Catch someone live. I have learned more in one evening of watching somebody else play a couple of sets than I think I ever have from any video I have watched.

Just my 2 cents ...
  4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    A good start would be by posting in the correct forum! ;)

5. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I know you arent going to be able to do this with your amp, unless the other people are using acoustic, but play with other people - it taught me a lot especially in following agnd well, chords.
  6. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I'd immediately try to start writing your own music with it, as well as the standards stuff like playing along with records and such. Writing will help you develop your own style that merely copying what you are hearing will not.

I for one started by writing music rather than playing along with records, taking lessons, and reading books. I think I've developed a fairly unique sound and style, but I'm not the most well rounded bassist out there. Learn your instrument holistically, rather than picking and choosing various methods.