1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Greetings from Whit Browne

Discussion in 'Ask the Berklee Bass Department' started by Whit Browne, Sep 27, 2013.

1. Whit Browne

Whit Browne Berklee Bass Department

Feb 27, 2013
    Hi bass players of the world. Just thought I'd introduce myself.
    My name is Whit Browne, Professor of Bass, Berklee College of Music. I've been teaching at Berklee 38 years. I've been playing bass for 49 years. I play upright bass (Jazz and classical - German Bow) and I play jazz on the Fender bass. Yes, jazz on the Fender.

2. S.fasciani

S.fasciani

May 27, 2005
    USA
    I studied with you way back 1999-2000. Very helpful in my formative years as a bassist. I still work on the songs/exercises I got in your lessons to this day. Grateful to have had some knowledge passed down to me!

3. Whit Browne

Feb 27, 2013
    Mr. Fasciani sir, - great to hear from you, and thanks for the kind words. That was a few years ago :) Hope you are healthy and well. Whit

4. Kyungsoo Hwang

Kyungsoo Hwang

May 17, 2009
    Dear Professor,

How are you? This is Kyung Soo Hwang. I play jazz on the Fender bass, too!

Thank you for teaching me Be-Bop. I still miss you and Berklee! :)

5. funnyfingers

funnyfingers

Nov 27, 2005
    You know you've been playing a long time when you still call it the Fender bass, lol.

6. Whit Browne

Feb 27, 2013
    Hi funnyfingers ! You are right! I have been playing a long time. Back in the day any written bass part for electric bass was labeled "Fender" on top and any part written for double bass was labeled as "Upright". This applied to most big band arrangements or Broadway show theater work. However, my electric bass is a "Fender Jazz Bass". I play flat wound GHS Precision strings heavy gauge G =.55 D=.70 A=.90 E =1.05. And they have been on the bass for 14 years! Joe Osborn concept.

Peter Brendler likes this.
  7. Kyungsoo Hwang

Kyungsoo Hwang

May 17, 2009
    I Love your Fender sound and playing :) Wow.. that 14 years old strings.