Gretsch 1968 Bass Model 6073 Owner's Manual?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JakeCharlton, Apr 18, 2018.

1. JakeCharlton

JakeCharlton

Aug 15, 2012
    Hi All, I just acquired a vintage Gretsch bass model 6073, aka the Peter Tork Monkee bass. It has some nice tones and a very playable neck. My questions is does anyone have an operating manual for the bass that they would share via PDF or equivalent? Short of that, does anyone know for sure what all the knobs and switches do? Thanks!

2. Warpeg

Warpeg

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
  3. Luckydog

Luckydog

Dec 25, 1999
  4. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Broadkaster.JPG If you go to the Gretsch web site and click "support", there are pictures of the various control layouts. Your bass isn't listed specifically - mainly because a) that bass was originally custom-built for Peter Tork; and b) the page is for "current" Gretsches, not vintage. However... Gretsch doesn't like to change things much; I'm pretty sure yours is layout #3. When they built that bass, Gretsch simply added another pickup to a 6071 bass (IIRC) and used the wiring harness from one of the existing guitar models. Which you can still get today, in fact. That control layout should be the same - with the exception of the little control lever for what Gretsch called "the muffler". It makes the mute in front of the bridge go up and down - or should, anyway... Yeah, Gretsch controls are... unique. I have to keep a little "cheat sketch" in my Broadkaster's case to remind me of what does what. I guess I should probably just play it more, instead...:whistle:

5. JakeCharlton

JakeCharlton

Aug 15, 2012
  6. 7615

7615 Guest

Nov 19, 2015
    The 3 way toggle at the bottom is a kill switch. Middle position is the kill. That is the confusing one. The other 3 way toggle is the 3 way tone setting. Middle position is open - one way is a bassier sound and the 3rd somewhere in between.

a volume knob for each pick up - and a master volume.

Its a 29' scale unlike the G6073 which is 30.3" scale.

I have the 6070 - how is the neck pick up sound?

Have been looking for the 2 pick up model but all over priced.

7. Mark76

Mark76

Dec 1, 2015
    Leicester
    Do you have the actual Peter Tork bass or did Gretsch make copies later?

8. JakeCharlton

JakeCharlton

Aug 15, 2012
    LOL No not the actual one used on the TV show if that is what you mean. But I do have a 1968 6073 with 2 pickups exactly like the one on the show.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 19, 2022