1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gretsch Junior Jet vs Hofner Icon B short scale bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nearpoint, Aug 24, 2012.

1. nearpoint

nearpoint

Aug 20, 2012
    Hey all,

I am in the market for a short scale bass and I am inbetween the Gretsch Junior Jet and Hofner Icon B.

Any thoughts in a comparison of these basses?

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Two completely different choices aren't they? You have to decide if you want hollow or solid, two pickups or one, bolt-on vs st neck. I got the Epiphone Allen Woody over the Hofner icon. It's fantastic. Check it out if you come across one.

3. dubhnight

dubhnight

Jul 26, 2012
    Having owned the Hofner, then selling that and buying the Junior Jet, I'd say that the Gretsch is a fantastic bass and in my opinion a lot better made and more playable than the Hofner. Maybe I got a bad unit, but the laquer on mine scratched ridiculously easy, the neck was full of really bad dead spots, the pots were noisy, and I didn't care much for the tone either. I always had a suspicion that there was something funny about the neck too. The The gretsch on the other hand has an amazing finish, is well made, and has a fabulous tone (I got the single pickup one and use heavy labella flats). I also think it looks awesome, I fitted an ashtray bridge cover and it's got a lot of attitude.