GRETSCH Upright Bass ???

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by leejohn01, Sep 16, 2005.

1. leejohn01

leejohn01 Guest

Aug 26, 2001
    I have a Gretsch made by Kay. They seem to be fairly rare. Just wondering if anyone else has a Gretsch upright bass?
  2. =====
    Google on "Kay bass" which will locate the home page for Kay, then seek your Serial number thereon. You can see how many of these basses were made and during which years. Sometimes you can also buy spare parts, such as tuning keys, tail pieces, etc. -- Don Carrigan
  3. Ooo once you do, let us know. I've got a Gretsch EB, and I love it. To think of a Gretsch upright....oooo. Pics?
  4. M Ramsey

M Ramsey

Mar 12, 2005
    North Carolina
    Afternoon all,

I HAD one and sold it. Bought it off of Ebay about 3 years ago. This one had been refinished, not a really good job, but at least it was not a heavy finish. The bass was very responsive.

This was basically a Kay C-1 with a beachwood (possibly) fingerboard.

After I got my 2nd American Standard I had to let her go.

Kinda sad.

I do remember that there was a member here on Talkbass from Texas who had one and we actually talked Gretsch bassses on cell phones for about 30 minutes. Neat!
  5. KrisH

Nov 6, 2007
    New Jersey
    Someone close by has a Gretsch double bass for sale now:

It's a little beat up, but who knows? I always liked the looks of a Gretsch Tone King, and if I hadn't just recently picked up my Czech bass, I'd be tempted to look at it, at least . . .
  6. manfish

Aug 2, 2005
    Hey, Its a bit late but I have one too. Its a beautiful sounding and playing thing. The Kay story is probably right. I did see one with a G logo.