Groove books

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by s0ckeyeus, Nov 10, 2004.

1. s0ckeyeus

Jun 2, 2003
    I have recently come to the realization, that I have spent so much time emphasizing what notes to play without focusing on making them groove. So basically, I'm a lopsided player.

Do any of you have suggestions for a good book that emphasizes building a groove? Right now lessons are out of the question since a) don't have the money b) don't have a mode of transportation c) no one teaches bass here at my college.
  2. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
  3. Dynna

Oct 23, 2004
    As silly as this may sound, I got most of my ability to groove from two places.

1. Learning to play a bunch of different styles ACCURATELY. That means play a country tune LIKE a country tune, or a gospel/motown tune as such. Chart the tune, then capture the feel. A country tune can be right on the beat or even a little late to prevent the tune from propelling too far forward. A swing tune may want to be pushed forward by playing just before the beat. A jazz tune may start ON the beat, but then PUSH later to help bring the dynamic up.

2. Getting in touch with my metronome. Get your inner clock working properly so that you can distinguish between on, before, or behind the beat. And then go to work on being able to play them. If you can't play ON the beat, there's no way that you'll be able to find it to play BEFORE it.
  4. s0ckeyeus

Jun 2, 2003
    I often work with a metronome and find that my timing is generally pretty good. I've been trying to isolate certain technical issues that hamper me. Maybe a good study of different styles is what I need.
  5. James S

James S

Apr 17, 2002
    New Hampshire

You are not alone in your position. It is far easier to learn information than practice groove. Often it can become boring to sit alone and... "groove".

I have a book that really just serves the purpose of carrying two cds. The two cds feature 57 GROOVE play-along tracks with real players. Even though the book has the word "Slap" in the title, your fingers also work fine with these grooves.

(You can hear sample mp3)
  6. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    I have this book. I've only worked with it for a few hours at this piont, but it's definitely got the exercises to get your groove on. I really like the book, Ed Friedland's approach, and the supplied CD with examples of all the exercises... they've very well done. I'm looking forward to having more free time to court the groove
  7. s0ckeyeus

Jun 2, 2003
    I just bought Ed Friedland's <i>Bass Grooves</i> since it was fairly inexpensive at Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm still open to more.