1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Groove courses

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Sean Parsons, Nov 23, 2018.

1. Sean Parsons

Sean Parsons

Nov 13, 2018
    Hi guys,

Does anyone have any recommended books or online tutors they would like to share.

I’m new to bass and I’ve become aware of some of the online schools and some books but at this stage I’d really like to focus on groove, timing and rhythm. Not too interested in slapping and solos at the moment.

I looked at Adam Nitti, Scott’s, John Patituccis courses.

Anyone have any experience of these or other courses.

I did search previous posts but they were very general and didnt give much detail about content etc.

Cheers
    Sean.

2. Ed Friedland has a book on groove. I think it is called Building Bass grooves. It was over my head the first time I read it. I thought I was to use the notes shown in his examples. It really has to do more with rhythm and falling into "the groove" with the drummer than the specific notes used...

Several years later I picked it up again and I was ready.

Clapping the beat is a good get started exercise. Following the drummer's kick drum is what we should be doing. You can groove roots, it really is a rhythm thing. Based upon the songs time signature, i.e. 3/4, 4/4, 5/8, etc.

I watch the drummer's kick pedal and get the basic beat from that. I ignore his fills and runs and concentrate on the basic beat. I would say that, and clapping the beat, would be step one. Carol Kay starts you out clapping everything.

Have fun.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
  3. onda'bass

onda'bass Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2010
    Buffalo Ny
    Stop with the books courses etc... listen to the masters and learn their lines. In years past people did not have our technology, just ears and recordings.

Lesfunk, bass12, JRA and 1 other person like this.
  4. RickyT

RickyT

May 29, 2015
    Dee Why
    Check out Daric Bennett's bass courses. Way better than Scott and he doesn't have 15 minutes of fluff before each lesson so he can earn money from YT.

5. Sean Parsons

Sean Parsons

Nov 13, 2018
    Malcom, thanks. That sounds like the kind of thing Im after. I’ll check it out.

Onda’bass, yep, thats where the lions share of the work is being done. Just listening and feeling. But I do get lost and feel I need a leg up when it come to getting locked in with sub divisions of 16ths etc..

RickyT, good point. All that chat and repetition would drive me mad. I hadnt seen Darics site. Looks good and is pretty cheap.

Cheers
    Sean

onda'bass and RickyT like this.
  6. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    I'm inclined to agree with "onda'bass" here. The best way to learn groove, timing, and rhythm is to ... listen.
    Dont worry too much about "16ths" for now. One of the hardest things to play is a slow blues (see clip below). Blues.. (even if you don't care too much for the music itself)...is a great way to get a feel for how the bass "fits into" the music. Check Youtube for names/bands such as : John Mayall's Bluesbreakers, BB King, Buddy Guy, early Fleetwood Mac, and Freddy King. For groove and timing, the ear beats the book any day IMO.

To answer your actual question....some tutorial recommendations :

www.talkingbass.net

https://www.amazon.com/Leonard-Bass-Method-Easy-Use/dp/0793563836

Slow Blues ;

Sean Parsons likes this.
  7. Sean Parsons

Sean Parsons

Nov 13, 2018
    Yes, I’ve got a pretty decent blues collection.

In fact, DdD’s playing on Albert King - Born Under A Bad Sign is like a master class in itself.

Perhaps I need to just relax into it and not try too much too soon.

Cheers
    Sean

fearceol likes this.
  8. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

listen and then play. a lot. it's not always automatic. patience and perseverance are your friends. you'll know you're making progress when the fun of the groove keeps you from posting on TB. :laugh:

good luck! :thumbsup:

9. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    +100 to that !! ;)

Often, people starting out, bite off more than they can chew. They then get frustrated that they are not making progress. Learning any instrument to it's full potential is a life long journey. So..yes...slow down and take things in small bite size chunks. It will pay dividends in the long run and you'll have more fun.

Best of luck with it. :bassist:

Sean Parsons likes this.
  10. Groove Master

Groove Master

Apr 22, 2011
    Montreal
    Author of Groove 101, Slap 101 and Technique 101
    You should check out this site

Sean Parsons likes this.
  11. GastonD

GastonD

Nov 18, 2013
    Belgrade, Serbia
    If you are not looking strictly for free instruction, it's hard to beat Norm Stockton's lessons over at artofgroove.com Plenty of material oriented at groove first and foremost, well presented and at the price of 9.99 per month it is very much worth it.

12. Some of the best musical advice I ever got when I was first starting out, was from one of my co-workers who told me, "forget about all that Jaco Pastorious $hit and learn to play the blues..."

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
    Sean Parsons likes this.
  13. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    The only money you should spend on learning "groove" is on music to listen to. Absorb it with your ears. Read notes... hear groove.

bass12 likes this.
  14. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    Best musical advice? I hope your co-worker wasn't a musician. Learn to play the blues if all you ever want to be able to play is the blues. Otherwise, learn some Jaco $hit.

15. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Most the discussions on TB concerning 'groove' and 'style' center around 1.) listening to the established masters of whatever style/genre is being discussed. 2.) a few excellent books outlining the rhythm, note choices, and general construction of the style.
    What is often overlooked is the simple technique of knowing the neck and being able to get from one note to another smoothly and gracefully... something that is a part of every style.
    Consider a player who understands what a good groove is, and is capable of demonstrating it on DB. The first time they get a EB in their hands they'll not be able to bring that knowledge and musicianship to bear until they've mastered the EB neck (same is true the other way around).
    Knowing your instrument so that you can get to the next note without any hesitation or impediment is essential to performing any style.

16. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"... Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Mastering the neck of a new bass is not at all necessary for one to be able to play a groove on that instrument. You can play a mean groove using one note. :thumbsup:

Groove Master likes this.
  17. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"... Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Agreed. Transcribing (actually writing the parts out) will do a lot more for you than reading out of a book or watching some videos.

18. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

Listen and copy
    James Jameson
    Cliff Williams
    Bernard Edwards
    Marcus Miller
    Duck Dunn
    Chuck Rainey
    David Hungate
    Etc
    They will teach you better than any academic excursive
    Groove is felt rather than taught
    Teachers can help fine tune, but you must feel it first

19. Pretty sure I didn't stop with the Blues. But starting with Jaco is futile. Even Jaco started with the Blues and RnB. Doesn't matter if dude was a musician or not, it was good advice.

20. Sean Parsons

Sean Parsons

Nov 13, 2018
    Thanks for the ideas guys.

Rest assured, I won’t be starting with Jaco ;)

Transcribing can be pretty tough but I understand the benefits. Actually, once I’ve decided on a tune/bass line I like it can be pretty tough to work out ‘why’ I like it.

Blue is always a good grounding for any instrument and one of those studies that never actually ends. The more you dig in the more you find.

mambo4 and Spin Doctor like this.