Groove!!

Discussion in 'Ask Anthony Wellington [archive]' started by joedecenso, Jun 6, 2011.

1. joedecenso

joedecenso

May 9, 2011
    As I've been watching you and Vic on groove workshop, some of the grooves both of you come up with are really catchy and have great grooves, of course. My question is , how do you come up with catchy/ groovy motifs or song phrases. I know you said that the groove is on the "e's" and the "uh's" but can you make a song groove without displacing the rhythm? How do you come up with interesting rhythms?

Thanks in advance.

2. Ant Wellington

Ant Wellington

Jan 4, 2011
    Maryland
    Yo Joe,

I don't think I ever said that you needed to displace the rhythm to make something groove. I just mentioned where the groove 'lives'. When I'm playing on the e's and uh's I'm not displacing a note from the downbeat or upbeat. I'm intentionally playing it there. Ron LePread didn't take the notes from the bass line to Brick House and move it to make it groove. He wrote the bass line on the subdivisions he wanted the notes on.

It's up to you to decide whether something grooves or not based on your own definition. But listen to an Americana song and a Funk song and determine for yourself which one grooves and why. Just remember that no one is taking notes and moving them. They are coming out of them how they come out of them. Latin guys are take what I call 'up & down' bass lines and displacing them. Those Layin lines are created on the e's and uh's without thought. They just can be analyzed after the fact.

peace,
    anthony

"Smells Like Funk"

3. Ant Wellington

Ant Wellington

Jan 4, 2011
    Maryland
    I meant to say "Latin guys aren't taking 'up & down' bass lines and displacing them".

4. enricogaletta

enricogaletta

May 21, 2011
    Another good way can be try to play your groove without the help of drum machine or either, just a click, try to think about your bass as a combo of Bass and Drum, you need to take out from that the right rhythm that can make you feel, wow I can dance no :)
    Cheers. Enrico
    YouTube
    WebSite

5. joedecenso

joedecenso

May 9, 2011
    Thanks for the responses

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021