Growlin' Basses!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tendollarcat, Jan 17, 2006.

1. Ok. I'm currently showing great discipline by only owning two basses - especially after talking to you guys!:D I own a Moses graphite Jazz and an Ibanez neck-thru SR900. I'm up to my neck in smooth round woody tones. I'm very happy with these sounds but need some help diversifying.
    My next purchase will have to be something with some serious bite and growl. I'm a fingerstyle player and I'm thinking the of classic Ash body-Maple neck combination as an example of what I've liked in the past. The best growling basses I've played are the Tobias Growler (as you'd expect)and a Japanese made Ibanez ATK (ATK's are the best budget bass ever made in my opinion).
    I'd love to get some ideas on what basses provide the best aggressive tones for you. I'm really interested in funky, gritty, punchy slap and fingerstyle sounds. Active or Passive. Expensive to Cheap. It doesn't matter. Half the fun of looking at new basses is in the research.
    Any suggestions?
  2. DerekP

Jul 24, 2005
    Toronto, On
    i prefer the thumb.... and its known for its low end growl, but i have also owned a corvette standard which had a fair amount of growl. so maybe try a few different warwicks if you dig em.