1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GSR-200 Gross Frets

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tbird42, Aug 11, 2018.

1. My first occurrence of GAS has hit me...
    Me and my mom were at Goodwill yesterday evening. I spotted a Randall Guitar amp stack and a Peavey Audition amp, so already some unusual musical finds at Goodwill. But then at the checkout, I see it: an Ibanez GSR-200 for only $75. I couldn't resist! I tried it out quickly, and it played well and it was in remarkably good condition for only $75, so I convinced my mom to get it for me as a very early birthday present.
    So, it's today now, and I went to play it this morning, and I noticed that some of the frets are in... less than mint condition. Well, mint as in kind of green. Specifically the lower frets. It's not affecting my playing very much, but I'd like to know, could I fix this up?
    Also, I'm thinking of getting a custom neck for it downright, since I'm hoping to get a job sometime this year at a music store, so does anyone know anywhere I can get custom necks that will fit Ibanez models?

2. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    Since i am not qualified to give you an answer on the neck i will address the fret issue. Do your self a favour and buy Dan Erlewine's book Guitar player repair guide, trust me, you won't regret it. You can also find a bewildering amount of you tube videos. Basically you should learn to maintain and repair your own instrument, you're welcome.

Warhawk and tbird42 like this.
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Get some 0000 steel wool and a roll of masking tape, mask off the fretboard around the frets, and rub them with the steel wool. Your frets will be so shiny they blind you!

tbird42 and DiabolusInMusic like this.
  4. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    And put some tape over the pickups. Little steel wool fibers can get in there and wreak havoc.

5. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

This. Although if we're talking about a rosewood board here, I would forgo the tape to get all the grime off the fretboard as well.

Taping off the pickups is essential if you do this anywhere near the body.

JimmyM, Warhawk and tbird42 like this.
  6. If cleaning the frets with steel wool I'd pull the neck off first if it's a bolt on.

tbird42 and TrustRod like this.