1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Guest bands using your rig....any stories?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sweetcharlie454, Apr 27, 2010.

1. sweetcharlie454

sweetcharlie454

Apr 16, 2010
    During my last gig, the bassists of a guest band asked me to use my rig, so I quickly said "yea man, go for it".....I wound up eating those words as I sat painfully in the audience as he cranked my GK's way harder than they ever should have gone...than I discovered that he had his "active" bass all the way up without the db cut on, it sounded horribe, tired of seeing the clip light constantly flash, i ran up in the middle of thier set and turned him down, he was pissed, i just don't get it. I will be more hesitant next time someone asks to use my stuff.

Does anyone have similar stories, if not what do you think of this one......thanks guys

2. I used another bass player's rig once. All I did was plug into the jack. It was an EA and an accugroove setup that sounded pretty good.

I would never adjust another player's settings. It was plenty loud so I turned my bass down!

3. I have an amp that I keep at the church I play at as almost a house amp, and let the other bassists use it, but I know them and both are pros so I don't worry.

Never let someone you don't know use your amp.

4. TheBasicBassist

TheBasicBassist

Jan 8, 2009
    Newark, DE
    Endorsing Artist: Rosado Guitars
    Doesn't happen. Ever. Unless the person is a friend, because, in that case we've all lent each other gear at least a handful of times or have played studio on each other's albums so it's all good. But if a bassist doesn't bring an amp to his own gig, willingly, and doesn't say anything to anyone beforehand then like the saying goes, "A lack of preparation on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part." But as I said, there are exceptions. =]

woody357 likes this.
  5. TortillaChip520

TortillaChip520

Jun 3, 2008
    AZ
    I let another bassist use my rig a couple times, I adjusted all the settings for them since they weren't familiar with my amp anyways.

6. sweetcharlie454

sweetcharlie454

Apr 16, 2010
    Thats a good way to sum it up, i've never had a problem up until that point, but then again i guess it only takes once.

7. sweetcharlie454

sweetcharlie454

Apr 16, 2010
    I did this as well but didn't think to check if he had an active bass......oh well, my bad....but it was kind of odd that he was completely oblivious to the severly distorting amp.

8. thetawaves

thetawaves

Dec 29, 2006
    Had to use another guy's amp since the soundman for the night couldn't be doing with re-jigging the bass mix everytime. Fair's fair I guess...

At another gig I was a little vexed to find the guy who had borrowed my amp had cranked up everything to 10 with an 18V active bass and was giving me evils everytime it cut out. Tit.

bazzanderson likes this.
  9. octaverazor

octaverazor

Jun 3, 2009
    Houma, LA
    I've had guy show up at a gig with no amp expecting to borrow one. When he asked to borrow mine, I asked him "what happen to your amp? He said it was to much of a pain in the ass to bring. So I told him "It's going to be more of pain to explain to the club owner how your going on late because you have to go pick up your amp."

gottliver likes this.
  10. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    When I was younger, I would always let other players use my stuff without question- after losing some speakers, cables, and one of my amps to this generosity (not to mention scratches and dings on basses from people that couldn't respect them), now I only do it for people I trust- and I always set their levels for them! I generally don't let other people touch my basses at all any more unless they are close friends or they broke a string AND seem to be mellow players/nice people...

Karl

11. sweetcharlie454

sweetcharlie454

Apr 16, 2010
    I was thinking about bringing my 8x10 and send my head to my 1200w crown pwr amp and daring him to crank it, I think he'll quit before the rig does.:D

12. elavate7

elavate7

Jul 8, 2009
    its all about "THE POCKET"
    well when playing at church we sometimes have guest churches that may come as well as thier band for thier choir. there are very few churches that come from time to time and theres not that many bassesist in our circle of churches. i know them and they all have thier own rigs at thier church so its all good.

13. I filled in for a bass player this past weekend and in the process was also auditioning for the band. Turns out I had to let 5 bass players use my gear, which I wasn't too happy about. Fortunately, things worked out and none of the bass players messed with my EQ - that would have seriously pissed me off had they messed with my EQ.

Anyways, the band that I played and auditioned for wasn't that good so hopefully they don't call me back because I'll just turn them down as far as wanting to play any further gigs with them.

Most times if someone is going to use my gear, I've always been given a heads up first. This time just happened to be different, luckily it didn't turn out bad.

14. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    I have let a couple people use my Amp.... BUt only If i am the one adjusting it If i think they getting to loud...i turn it down..lol... Mind you most People that have used my amp have NEVER Played through a such a Big System and they are just in aww and Happy just to be plugged into something like it cause most of the time it is there first time and maybe there last time to play though something with about 7X the power of what they are use to playing through!!...Now As For me I take my Rig when ever i have to play and i will not and have not Played through anyone else's...For One thing they are most often quit small or just dont have the sound i Like!!! But hey that is Just Me!!

15. Sounds like this should be in the terrible auditions thread.

I wouldnt call them back

16. bluestarbass

bluestarbass

Jul 31, 2007
    Indianapolis
    Yep. Had to put all new tubes in a brand new pre. Last time that will happen.

17. The bass player in a band supporting us PUT HIS BEER on my new uncased SVT 6 Pro. He won't do that again.

18. hwystar

hwystar

Jan 30, 2009
    My rig is on loan right now, co-worker had a band in Cal, his guys fly in to play a few gigs a month, the band played their first gig 2 wks ago, my rig sounded great, I haven't evenhad a chance to play out with it myself yet so it was bitter sweet in a way, but was glad to hear it "out" as a member of the audience, band play 3 more gigs at the end of the month and I should get it back then, they've taken real good care of it, so far so good, I guess it comes down to how's using it freinds or strangers.

19. bertbassplayer

bertbassplayer Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2000
    Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
    I'm weary about letting people I know use my stuff, I never let anyone that I don't know use my stuff. I carry a Tech 21 BDDI for the horrible "I didn't bring my rig because..." excuse.

20. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    I let a guy use my amp once, and he smashed his bass at the end of the set. It was still plugged in to my SWR head, which got yanked off the cab. I was about to get hostile, but before I could his bandmates did it for me. Apparently they had another gig the next night, and that was the only bass he owned.

The head ended up being fine.