1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Guitar Center Coupon Exclusions

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by TNCreature, Mar 7, 2013.

1. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies!

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia Burbs
    Just what CAN I use the coupon on? :meh:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/GC-Coupon-Details-g25685t0.gc

Promotion Exclusions

"The following manufacturers have chosen not to participate in this promotion:

3rd Power Amps, 65amps, A Designs, Aguilar, ADAM Audio, AKG, Allen & Heath, Alvarez, American Audio, American DJ, Ampeg, Antoine Courtois Paris, Aphex, Apogee, Apple, Armstrong, ART, Arturia, Audio-Technica, Audix, Auralex, Avalon, Avanti, Avid, Azumi, B&S, B3 Guitars, Bach, BAM, BeatKangz, Bedell, Behringer, Belkin, Benchmark, Benchmark Media Systems, Benedetto Guitars, Besson, Bixonic, Black Cat, Blackheart, Blackstar, Blue, Bogner, Bosch, Bose, Boss, Breedlove, Bricasti, Brio, BSS Audio, Buffet Crampon, Bugera, Bundy, Carl Martin, Casio, Cerwin-Vega, Chameleon Labs, Chandler Limited, Charvel, Chauvet, Cleartone, Cloud, Conn, Cordoba Music Group, Courtois, Crate, Crown, Cusack, Daking, Dangerous Music, dbx, Dean, Death By Audio, Diamond, DigiTech, Disney by Washburn, DLS Effects, Drawmer, Dunnett, Drum Workshop, EBS, Eden, Edirol, Elation, Electro-Harmonix, Electro-Voice, Elysia, Emerson, EMG, Eminence, EMMA Electronic, Empirical Labs, Empress Effects, Engl, Epiphone, ESP, Euphonix, Eventide, EVH, F. Loree Paris, Fano Guitars, Fargen Amps, Fender, Fishman, Focusrite, Fox, Fuchs, Fulltone, Furman, G7th, Gallien-Krueger, Galway, Gator, Gemeinhardt, Genz Benz, Getzen, Gibson, Gibson Custom, Gibson USA, Giffin Guitars, GNI Pedals, Godlyke, Gold Tone, Golden Age Project, Grace Design, Great Divide, Great River, Gretsch, Guild, Guyatone, Hagstrom, Hans Hoyer, Hao, Harden Engineering, Harman, Haynes, Hercules, HHB, Hohner, Holton, Ibanez, ISP Technologies, J Puchner, Jackson, JamHub, Jasmine by Takamine, JBL, Jet City Amplification, Jody Jaz, Jupiter, K&M, Kanstul, Kawai, Keeley, Keilwerth, Keith McMillen Instruments, Kemper, King, Koll Guitars, Korg, Kramer, KRK, Kurzweil, Kush Audio, Langevin, Leblanc, Lexicon, Line 6, LovePedal, LP, LsL Instruments, Ludwig, Luna Guitars, Mackie, Mad Professor, Malekko Heavy Industry, Manley, Mapex, Markbass, Marshall, Martin, Martin-Leblac, Maxon, Meinl, Meinl Weston, Mesa Boogie, Millennia, Miraphone, Mixosaurus, Mogami, Mojave Audio, Moog, Morgan, MOTU, Music Man, MusicXPC, N-Tune, Neumann, Neve, Nord, Novation, NS Design, Olympus, On-Stage Stands, Option 5, Orange Amplifiers, Ortofon, Ovation, P. Mauriat, Pacific Drums & Percussion (PDP), Paiste, Parker Guitars, Pearl, Peavey, Pelonis Sound and Acoustics, Perris, Phonic, Pigtronix, Pioneer, Powell, Prelude by Conn-Selmer, PreSonus, Propellerhead, PRS, Purple Audio, QSC, Quik Lok, Radial Engineering, Rainsong, Randall, Rane, Reunion Blues, Rickenbacker, Rivera, RME, Roc-N-Soc, Rockbag by Warwick, Rockbass by Warwick, Rockcase by Warwick, RockStand by Warwick, Rode Microphones, Roland, Royer, Rupert Neve Designs, Sabian, Sample Logic, Schecter Guitar Research, Scherzer, Schilke, Schreiber, Schroeder, Schroeder Guitars, Selmer, Selmer Paris, Sennheiser, Serato, Shure, SKB, SM Pro Audio, Softube, Solid State Logic, Sonare, Soul, Soundcraft, Squier, Stanton, Steinberg, Steinberger, Stephanhouser, Sterling by MusicMan, Summit Audio, Sweet Sound Electronic, SWR, T-REX Engineering, Takamine, Tama, Tapco, Taylor, TDK, Tech 21, Telefunken, Thermionic Culture, Toadworks, Tobias, Tone King, Tortuga, Traveler Guitar, Traynor, True Systems, Tube-Tech, Two Rock, Ultimate Support, Universal Audio, Vestax, Violet Audio, Vito, VMI, Voodoo Lab, VOX, W. Nirschl, Waldorf, Wampler, Warwick, Washburn, Weber Speakers, Western Digital, Xotic Effects, Yamaha, Yamaha Band & Orchestra, Yanagisawa, Zildjian, Zoom, ZVex Effects"

2. basskidd

basskidd

Jul 25, 2011
    Chicago
    I dunno... you could probably buy some picks to throw at the guitarist...? :p

:bag:

edit: I had no idea gc stocks Aguilar!

3. LPStephens

LPStephens

May 16, 2010
    A simple phone call or online chat with customer service prior to checkout can have some good results even if there is not a sale on the particular item you are looking to buy.

4. Like LPStephens said, just try calling. I have a friend who got a Schecter Guitar for a pretty deep discount. All he did was call in, spend a few minutes going on about how he was a broke college student, etc, and he got somewhere in the area of $100 discount off the sale price. Musician's Friend will do the same.

5. Twocan

Twocan Living the Dream

Oct 5, 2009
    MA
    Just go to Music123 - they usually match prices without reading the fine print.

6. Art Araya

Art Araya

May 29, 2006
    Palm Coast, FL
    I called MF friend when I was not able to use their President's Day coupon to buy an Aggie TH500. I called, played dumb. They explained that Aguilar wasn't participating in this promo but they extended another coupon to me for the same value.

7. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies!

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia Burbs
    I know that GC and other retailers will bend a little if you ask, but my point is that this fine print may dissuade many a buyer not versed in the art of haggling. plus it looks pretty funny.

I would like to see the disclaimer to say- OK, to save paper, this is what you CAN buy:
    Some pics, and anything by Rogue. LOL!

8. edbass

edbass

Nov 8, 2004
    Except; that's not the way it works though... ;)

It's not a case of GC not discounting the excluded items, but actually a case of GC not being able to advertise the discount.
    They can sell gear at whatever price they want.

Like all retailers GC has to honor MAP (minimum advertised price) agreements with some of (most of)their manufacturers. The "everyday" GC price is at MAP, so unless they exclude those manufacturers from additional advertised discounts they would be in violation of their agreement; by virtue of advertising said products at 15% (or whatever percentage the coupon is for) under MAP.

You don't have to haggle to get the price in person; just present the coupon and you'll generally get the discount.

Online sales can be a little stickier, but in person or via phone usually isn't an issue.

9. ^ Exactly

10. ProgRocker

ProgRocker

Mar 25, 2011
    Their disclaimers aren't new. They are in every GC sale promotion. In my experience, there's wiggle room in almost any price (at GC or anywhere else).

11. Three years ago I bought my Hofner Icon with a 15% off coupon at GC, and I paid $260 for it. Hofner is one of the few names not on the list.

12. uOpt

uOpt

Jul 21, 2008
    Boston, MA, USA
    These brand exclude themselves from being offered at cheaper prices, where that means "advertised".

You can usually call GC or MF and ask for the coupon to be applied to one of those brands, and that is both allowed and apparently frequently done if the item isn't too popular.

13. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I just discard GC coupons.

14. That's your loss then. I've had them apply the 15% discount even on used stuff....more than once....:D

15. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Unless someone has given me a gift card, I don't buy jack from GC anymore. Sweetwater is great. I recently bought a replacement cable for my G50 from them. It was at my door in 2 days. Unfortunately it was bad right out of the package. I emailed my sales rep and 2 days later I have a new cable. They didn't even want the old one back. Plus they gave me a 2 year extended warranty on the G50.

Why bother with GC? MF gets none of my money anymore either.

YMMV.

16. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I don't dislike GC, I just don't buy a lot of stuff and I've found that their coupons almost never apply to anything I want.

17. edbass

edbass

Nov 8, 2004
    I've never had a GC coupon refused on any gear, not even used or special ordered merchandise.
    Have you?
    Did you happen to read any of the previous posts about how the GC coupon policy actually works? :confused: