1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Guitar Center set up (Fender content)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bijoux, Jan 26, 2018.

1. Bijoux

Bijoux

Aug 13, 2001
    Denver-CO-USA
    I stopped at a Guitar Center on my way home after work last night to check out the new Fender basses.
    I'm so disappointed....
    All the basses had too much neck relief. With the strings pressed down on the first and last fret there was enough space to fit my car keys in the relief.
    The saddles were way too high on top of that.
    So basically a Squier, Professional, American Original, 70's MIM, Geddy Lee, Elite, all played the same. Incredible there was no distinction. It's amazing what a good set up can do. Al these basses from 1,5 to 2k just felt real cheap in my hands.
    Oh well, on the bright side it detoured me from impulse buying.
    There is another Guitar Center in town that is the total opposite. Their basses are so well set up that makes you wanna buy every single one! lol

What's your experience trying out basses at stores? are privately owned stores better than GC?

2. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I have been under the impression that big box retailers simply unpack the bass and hang it on the wall.

Bijoux likes this.
  3. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    Music-Go-Round has always taken the time to set up their instruments. Not the same as a big box retailer, but I always buy used.