1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Guitar pedal works for bass?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by DrArkon, Apr 4, 2009.

1. DrArkon

DrArkon

Apr 4, 2009
    I want a metal sound for my bass... but I wanna know if the digitech deathmetal pedal would work for it... I think it's a guitar pedal... so yeah?

2. you are aware the death metal pedal is an insanely distorted distortion pedal?

And Im pretty sure it will work, but im not 100%

3. wizay

wizay

Mar 5, 2008
    Norway
    You will loose all your low-end with that kind of pedal

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Sometimes guitar fuzz pedals will eat your low end up. Some don't, but most do.

5. DrArkon

DrArkon

Apr 4, 2009
    So does anyone know a bass pedal or something so I can get a "metal" sound?

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
  7. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    ...and before it gets said, "No, it won't damage your head or speakers."

Look into a vintage RAT or vintage reissue RAT.

8. Kügel

Kügel

Nov 2, 2006
    Belgium
    I have that Digitech Death Metal pedal as well.

It's actually pretty noise and I don't really like the sound, it's kinda thin.

9. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    If you ask me, there are some guitar distortions that work well on bass. and there are some that has some interesting sounds, but can have low-end losses. if you want a guitar distortion to try out on your bass, I would recommend the boss md-2 mega distortion. there is a sound sample of that pedal on bass on the boss website. I would also recommend the devi ever hyperion. it's the kind of fuzz pedal that sounds metal.:bassist:

but if your thinking of a bass distortion pedal that can give you a metal sound, I would recommend either the digitech xbd bass overdrive/distortion pedal or the tech 21 xxl bass edition distortion pedal. any of those pedals can give you a metal bass sound.

10. nbtone

nbtone

May 13, 2008
    Marketing Exec. Newbasstone, Inc
    Prescription electronics makes a good one called "experience". You might need a tube to make it really happen, though.

11. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    OBVIOUS ANSWER:

Go to a music store with your bass and try them out. Expect a majority of heavy/metal guitar distortions to sap your low end and maybe even some of your lower mids.

12. DrArkon

DrArkon

Apr 4, 2009
    I don't even know what the low mid or mid low or something is all about... i'm new to all this bass stuff..

13. If you're still new to bass, avoid pedals until you have a good handle on bass.

14. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 Skip the pedals for now, concentrate on playing. Besides, alot of metal bass is played clean(ish), just a driving hard amp and bass.

15. bassdudepat

bassdudepat Bringer of the Brown Note Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Austin, Texas
    Yep, concentrate on the fundamentals first for sure but there's nothing wrong with playing around with some toys to keep it interesting sometimes.. I like the Fulltone Bass Drive.. It's not a "metal" pedal but it has an awesome overdriven distortion sound and it preserves your tone and the low end.. Not exactly cheap though.

16. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    Ok, for me the Death metal sucks. Not set up well for bass freqs. I have, however, found the Digitech Grunge pedal superb for bass. Its the only of the Digitech guitar pedals that work well for bass IMO. I use mine all the time and get some scrumptious tones outta it. Go to GC or somewhere and check it out, messing with the amp EQ as well. Its a goodie.

17. Mulebagger

Mulebagger

Dec 12, 2007
    poppin in the corn belt
    Endorsing Artist: Zon Guitars, Tsunami Cables, DR Strings, GK
    I use a Zoom G2.1u for distortion when I'm soloing. It's a guitar pedal but it makes the bass sing in a very musical way. For bass distortion when holding down the lowend, I use the Channel 2 on my AG500. IMHO, the saturation channel on the AG500 is the best I've used over the years and I can easily dial in a variety of tones while switching back and forth between clean and saturated. Here is a solo clip using the Zoom G2.1u pedal. One nice feature is that it has a programmable expression pedal. Best of luck in your search.

18. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    I find this strange in less Digitech messed up the pedal from the original DOD version, I remember it having good lows, not Bigmuff lows but good. And originally [back in the 90's when it first came out] The Deathmetal was suppose to be the same distortion circuit as the grunge but without a gain control and a three band EQ, that is what I remember reading about it when it first came out. I'll have to dig mine out again, I haven't used it in years.

19. JaxOcean2

JaxOcean2

Apr 4, 2009
    Yeah it would work for it, but it wouldn't be sounding the way you would want it to. you should probably buy El Grande Bass Fuzz, I tried it out in R&R Music and it sounded dirty and trashy enough for me but still gave the fines that all bass players need to maintain. It gives out the most distortion ever made for bass without making it sound like complete crap (which also makes it expensive). By the way, if you buy it, be sure to get some hard picks (it sounds better with bass distortion).

20. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    Ok I tried it, the old one I have has plenty of lows.

Here is a setting to try
    Lows = max
    Mids 1 O'clock
    Highs = min to a smidgeon.

This worked fine with a passive jazz.