Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

guitarist quit

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by kingbrutis, May 1, 2005.

1. kingbrutis

kingbrutis

Aug 10, 2003
    Phoenix AZ
    Not here for sympathy. We had deals from record companys and shows lined up for the next 2 moths. Now everything is on hold. He left for a "signed" band. Man, I feel like the fat girl that is being dumped. Oh well. The looking for guitarist adds starts again. Later Joe

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Soooaaahhhhh, are you fat? Are you a girl? Just curious.

3. That sucks... our guitarist also quite... 10 months ago... still didin'T find any replacement.

Hope it'll be faster for you.

4. Sounds kind of weak if he bailed on you when you supposedly had deals getting lined up with record companies and shows booked, etc. I don't blame him for taking the opportunity to work with a signed band, necessarily. Did he give you any advance notice? If not, that kind of sucks.

It lists your location as Phoenix, though. I imagine it shouldn't be too hard to find a replacement?

5. What band did he join? I want to go to his shows and hurl incongruous insults at him...."Yeah?! Well at least I'm not a Peruvian goat herder!!! Take THAT, Queen Bee."

6. I feel your pain. I was in a band that had signed up for one of those "Battle of the Bands" type of things and our singer/guitarist quit 2 weeks before the show for lesser reasons than yours. We played it without him, no guitar, no vocals.....just drums and bass. We of course annouced the situation to all present to humilify the exiting egomanic. A bunch of guys from other bands jumped up on the stage and a freesyle jam session broke out. It turned out pretty sweet.

The guitarist we have now was in that crowd that night and called us. He said anyone couragous enough to throw down one short in front of that many people was the kind of people he wanted to rock with.

Sometimes you have to take a step backward to take a giant step foraward. Him quitting was the greatest thing to happen for myself and my drummer.

7. kingbrutis

kingbrutis

Aug 10, 2003
    Phoenix AZ
    Thanks for the encouragement. We have had some calls so hopefully it will go good. I was also worried that our drummer, his best friend would want to quit also, but luckily he feels lied to also. All the lying is what pissed us off. He had drama in is life but kept telling us he was commited to what we were doing. Thats why all those shows were booked. Worst of all, the lying was from a Christian brother. This isn't a religon issue, but...... I know it's for the best because from all the lies(many before this), we couldn't possibly sing about integrity with him a part of our band. Thanks again. Joe
    www.myspace.com/strengththrusuffering

8. kingbrutis

kingbrutis

Aug 10, 2003
    Phoenix AZ
    We are taking your advice. We are going to play without a guitarist. How can I help fill the space? I play an Ampeg 610 cab and mesa 400+ head. I have an Ampeg 410 guitar cab and a Marshall 100 watt head. I also have a mass metal pedal. I am tuned down to c flat. Besides "turning it to 11", what can I do to fill up space? Thanks Joe

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Same thing hapened to me for a while, I ended up taking over rhythm guitar duties with my lead's spare gear while I got a buddy of mine covering my arse on bass. Sucks, but it's fun for a few gigs.

10. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    So you are playing with no guitars at all? Just bass and drums and vocals? You are possibly the luckiest bass player alive :) Assuming you are indeed playing metal (as your gear suggests) its not that much of a problem. Loud on the distortion, rock out and have fun. I've always wanted to do a metal band with no guitars but never gotten a chance. I envy you.

11. This was going to be my suggestion. Dont forget that the bass is technically a guitar. If you can switch back and forth between clean and distorted channels you'll be able to mimic the presence of a guitar.....no one will even know he's gone. :smug:

12. That's why it's helpful to learn what he play on guitar, that's what I do... so the guitarist can be replace whenever we want....the pressure is always there...and he cant do anything about it....lol...

13. kingbrutis

kingbrutis

Aug 10, 2003
    Phoenix AZ
    We play hardcore. It is more punk rooted than metal. If I can talk my drummer into it, we are going to do it. I'm gona mess with the sound alot. I'll let you know how it goes. Later Joe

14. FriscoBassAce

FriscoBassAce

Dec 29, 2004
    Frisco, Texas
    Independent Manufacturers Representative

I can't resist....don't you mean B sharp?!?

:p :p :p

Aw just kidding....I know what you really mean!