1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Guitarists who think they can play bass better...

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by kai_ski, Jul 26, 2012.

1. kai_ski

kai_ski

Apr 14, 2007
    Wenatchee, WA
    I hopped on facebook today, and saw the following status from a (talented, but young) working guitarist in my town:

Here's the gist of the discussion:

Several other decent bassists respond, "wish I was getting calls" etc.

I can't decide if I'm more annoyed by the guitarists know-it-all attitude, or the fact that local producers, engineers, singers, etc are calling a guitarist for bass gigs. I feel like I've done a good job of getting my name out there and playing in the "style" of the gig. I don't think he's referring to me when he says players that are too busy for pop, but I take it a little personal when other players (who I've played with and I know) would take a gig for an instrument they don't play or own instead of referring a qualified, prepared colleague.

2. iovar

iovar

May 7, 2011
    Chania, Crete
    Not nearly as bad as when they think they can teach bass...

3. ma4rk

ma4rk

Jun 28, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Like you said, he's only a young fella. He's got to learn somehow. Sounds like he's trying to get more work & sees bass as an 'easy' option (this guitarist attitidue of 'bass is easy' gives me the ***** too) so at the end of the day when the people calling him realise he doesnt have the lock-in-with-the-drummer-&-groove thing going on, he might not get called again.
    Also he may be getting called by producers etc with no idea & you wouldnt want to work with anyway... Or he may have had just one phone call & is blowing things out of proportion to inflate his ego.

4. sounds like he's an idiot and never plays with good players.

5. ma4rk

ma4rk

Jun 28, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    +1!!!!

6. kai_ski

kai_ski

Apr 14, 2007
    Wenatchee, WA
    yeah, I don't teach, so when a guitar teacher I know called me because he has a bass student and doesn't know what to do with him, I refer him to a bassist who does teach. but from the short phone call we had, I know that he wasn't teaching anything in terms of correct right hand technique or even how to hold the instrument. guitarists don't know what to do with the large format or scale, it's comical to watch them even try to approach the instrument.

7. frankieC

frankieC A swell guy from Warren Harding High

Jul 21, 2012
    I could be wrong, but it seemed to me that most guitarists think they can play bass. I've even gotten phone calls from guitarist asking if they can borrow a rig, so than can play a bass gig that night!

8. kai_ski

kai_ski

Apr 14, 2007
    Wenatchee, WA
  9. geddeeee

geddeeee

Jun 30, 2006
    Bass seems easy to guitarists... for 5 or 10 minutes.

See how well they can play at the 2 hour mark!!!!

My friend is a bassist in another band. He broke his wrist and was out for 6 weeks. The other 2 guitarists decided to 'fill in' for some gigs. The band sounded awful!!!

Now those 2 guitarists have a lot of respect for the bass as an instrument. They said that it seems easy, but playing for any length of time was SO hard. Wrist and forearm cramps, sore fingers etc.....

I wish that ALL guitarists got to play the bass for a 2 or 3 hour gig. See how 'easy' it is then........

10. frankieC

frankieC A swell guy from Warren Harding High

Jul 21, 2012
    Bingo!

11. Easy8

Easy8

Sep 5, 2007
    Austin, Tx
  12. kai_ski

kai_ski

Apr 14, 2007
    Wenatchee, WA
    dead link.

I know some good bass players who are also good guitarists, but I don't think it's one of those chicken and egg scenarios. :D

13. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    You shouldn't. Really 'great' guitarists need to be decent musicians. With enough understanding of music a great musician should do well with any instrument if given enough time to adjust to the physical skills (eg. drums need special coordination). The rest of us without tens of thousands of hours of dedicated practice are pretty much one trick ponies or close to it. OK maybe not but you get the idea. :hyper:

14. vegedge

vegedge

Jul 14, 2012
    in our town there are a lot of bands. but a hand full of the same guys seem to play in ALL of them. every guitar player playing bass in another. it kills me. because they cant seem to do it without just playing bass like its rhythm guitar

15. Easy8

Easy8

Sep 5, 2007
    Austin, Tx
    You have to log onto facebook to access it.

He says he's not good, but I think it is.

He's just jamming to "Penny Lane", "I Want You Back", and "Good Vibrations".

16. itchy

itchy

Jan 3, 2009
    Bay Area

CO-SIGN

17. rubendlr

rubendlr

Mar 10, 2012
    Austin, TX, USA
    I have nothing against bass players using a pick which almost all guitarist attempting to play bass do. However, I find most guitarists don't have the ability to really lock in with a drummer. They tend to either pedal roots because they're scared to death or play a grooveless fury of notes because they have chops but no real understanding of the rhythmic role of bass.

18. I once was in a band that for a very short time had two bassists, me and another guy who was a guitar player. We were working on "Truckin'" by the Dead and he came over after the first try and said I was doing it all wrong, "This is the way you play it." He said, and proceeded to demonstrate the "right way".
    Whereupon I politely nodded and proceeded from there on to play it exactly the way I had been playing it. For whatever reason, he never came back after that rehearsal, I still played it the way I wanted (by myself with no other bassists at that point) and it ended up sounding much better without him. Did it sound exactly like the record? Hell, no, but that wasn't really the point of this band. We were indeed a cover band, but we did the songs more or less our way and to have some fun with them, which this guy didn't seem to understand.

19. T-MOST

T-MOST Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    I don't know what genre of music this is happening in but with gospel, contemporary jazz and old school R&B no one calls a guitarist (98% of the time) to play bass! :scowl: They just don't play with the same sensitivity as a bassist so why bother??