1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

gut setup for B bass

Discussion in 'Bluegrass [DB]' started by bob denard, Jun 12, 2007.

1. bob denard

bob denard

Jul 11, 2003
    Paris, France
    hi folks,
    i was reading throughout the strings page but couldn't reach a conclusion for my current problem.
    I just bought a nice old Pillement Père and now i want to use my first bass, a big-souding laminated Musima, as a thumping spare with a gut setting.. knowing i've no idea how gut sounds or plays, i 've barely even tried it..
    I will use very little arco and want some kind of old Night Train-orientated setup, i was thinking of gut D and G and steel E and A.
    Is there any typical setup someone can advise me ? What brands should i choose ?
    Thanks all and cheers....
    Antoine

2. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    Big can o worms there.

What's your budget?

3. bob denard

bob denard

Jul 11, 2003
    Paris, France
    hi, budget is not really an issue, if i have to pay 300 $ to get something good that's allright. On the other hand i f i can get something good for less.... ;)

4. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    get some quality plain gut G and D with evah parazzi A and E strings.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 17, 2021