1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

gut vs synthetic gut vs weed wackers

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by papachains88, Feb 11, 2013.

1. papachains88

papachains88

Feb 11, 2013
    I have a dilemma I'm facing about strings. While still relatively new to upright bass, there's a lot about how to boost your sound I don't quite know. I have a set of weed wackers on my bass and as I'm sure any of you who have the same know that e and a strings fall pretty flat. I'm all about slap and a tiny bit of pizz, but I want to know how to get a bigger more defined sound out of these strings. I've been thinking about some synthetic guts from innovation, but I don't want to get the same flat sound and just be $140 down when I should've just stuck with weed wackers and then have an extra set of strings for no reason. I've also researched on many of these forums about guts. Do they really help the sound of e and a? Should I invest in them? Or am I gonna bust them up and be $250-350 in the hole and still not get a great acoustic sound? Please, any help would be great concerning a string purchase.

2. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    This should probably be posted on the double bass side of the forums. I've only been playing the upright for about a month, and only pizz, and only with steels, so I can't contribute any real knowledge.

3. papachains88

papachains88

Feb 11, 2013
    Yea, my bad. Reposting