Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Guyatone TF-2?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, Jun 15, 2005.

1. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Sooooo, I'm looking at replacing my Danelectro French Toast (Fuzz and Octave Up) with a better quality fuzz.

I've tried the MXR Blue box and its a similar sound, but is a bit to quiet.

The Vexter Fuzz Factory is looking to be my best option but before I lay that sorta cash down I want to make sure there are no other options for less money.

The reviews on Harmony-central say that this is quite a good fuzz, now whether that is good fuzz for the money or just a damn good fuzz full stop I don't know.

So any reviews, thoughts or experience with this pedal would be greatly appreciated (Jazz Ad?).

And any other suggestions of fuzz pedals that create random noises while playing, while still keeping note definition would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

2. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Any one?

3. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    CTO @ Two notes Audio Engineering
    A guitar player who also plays bass once said to me that the ZVex Fuzz Factory is as bad on bass that it is good on guitar. If you know the reputation of this pedal on guitar, you know the conclusion.... :D

Wooly Mammoth, maybe ?

4. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    i also thought i read somewhere that fuzz factory wasnt so great on bass.

what about a catalinbread teaser stallion: http://www.catalinbread.com/teaser.html

i know it isnt a fuzz per se but it gets some nice synthy artefacts and is apparently very responsive to twiddling the volume and tone knobs on your guitar a la matt bellamy of muse.

ive got one on order, apparently they should work ok with bass... has 1 channel of distortion and one channel called "chaos" which engages the oscillator.

otherwise yeah i think the woolly mammoth might be the go, or maybe a fuzz such as the chunk systems brown dog.

5. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    When do you get your stallion, because I was looking at this pedal a couple of weeks ago, seems like it would pair very interestingly with there other pedal, tremelo I think it was.

6. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    yep the semaphore trem (which can be used to control the oscillation of the teaser). i expect to receive it sometime next week. i ordered it from tonefactor but nicholas (the guy at catalinbread) told me that he was going to drop ship it because he was waiting on parts, he asked if i had any special requests and i said "make it as good as possible for bass". so im not sure exactly whats going on with it, but im looking forward to getting it in any form. i think its the perfect noisemaking tool! ill post a review and some clips when i get it.

have you seen this also? alphawave: http://www.troubledvariance.com/catalog.htm

it bills itself as a fuzz but i think its pretty out there.. the hoove control could provide some unusual noisemaking control. and apparently it works ok with bass... damn the samples hurt my ears hehe.

7. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Hmmm I'm starting to get a bit disappointed by all these fuzz and dist pedals. They all seem to sound similar to my zoom unltra fuzz. Might just scrap the whole thing and get a dl-4

Maybe I should ask the question of

If you have an
    MXR M-80 Bass Di
    Zoom Ultra Fuzz
    Crowther Prunes & Custard
    Ibanez SB-7
    Danelectro French Toast
    4 Channel Custom Switcher & Dirtbox (2 Dirty)
    EBS Multi Comp that you can overdrive in tube mode
    Ashdown amp that you can overdrive
    and a very secret and special overdrive pedal

Should you really be looking at more dirt/synthy sounding pedals

So yeah what do you guys think

DL-4 or more fuzz?

Cheers

8. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    CTO @ Two notes Audio Engineering
    For me, fuzz is all about Big muff... :smug:

9. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I'd say start working on your effects combos. i.e. fuzz plus envelope filter. Will sound better then the SB-7 IME

10. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    more dist/synth/fuzz... keep going until youve got everything you want at your feet man. maybe an ehx tube zipper?

ps - i so want ur pedalboard when ur done with it!

and whats this super-secret espionage mega-delux mystery pedal?

11. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

That would be the TZ-2. :)
    I love it so far but it's a savage beast.
    Lots of lows but it ca be hard to control.
    Tone is very raw and very aggressive.
    I can't think of anything better unless you pay thrice the price.

12. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    The Sb-7 is on the chopping block but yeah not tried dist and filter at least not recently.

Cheers man

Xan I could tell you but then I'd have to kill you, I should say I made it my self and it goes well with my self wound pickups. Also I didn't like the ehx tube zipper, I wanted to but end of the day just didn't sound good to me.

Basstyra the big muff is no where near the sound I'm aiming for and I've tried loads, closest I came was with the double muff but it had about half the gain I wanted.

Jazz ad could you grace us with a sound clip at all?

Cheers everyone

13. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Hehe ok Timmy C, im gonna go back and look at your pedalboard postings (at least you didnt put yours on a cd). Give us a clip of it, i wanna hear it :)

Hey btw, u still happy with ur prunes and custard?

14. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Very very happy, its a wonderful pedal and I'm still getting use to it, there are so many sounds in there, and every single one kicks the SB-7 ass, however the sb-7 comes pretty close, close enough for the audience not to know the difference. (Just in case you are looking for a cheap alternative)

I still maintain that the Prunes is the best on my board.

Cheers

15. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    i think id rather have the real thing. i look more for a distorted type synth sound which i understand the p&c does pretty well.

16. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    The P+C is the best pedal on my board too. And i really dont see that changing in the future. They're a magic box, and im really happy to have one.

EDIT: Steve's custom od is the best that i've ever ever heard. And were going to be building me one, real soon :)!

17. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    As soon as I catch enough fairies for their magic dust.

18. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    A little late, but in response to the zvex fuzz factory. I tried it w/ bass and it was pretty cool...It provides a nice thick fuzz, but didn't handle the lows all that well. I tried the mammoth right after, and there was no comparison for me. Without even tweaking the mammoth i was in pure bass-heavy fuzz-crazed heaven. I wanted insane fuzz that could shake the ground...the mammoth does it for me. However, its not the most versatile pedal, it all-out crazy- all the time. If your looking for a blend control, or the ability to control the amount of fuzz subtle to thick...It might not be for you. Try before you buy if you can.

19. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    ive been checking out the foxx tone machine which happens to be a fuzz and octave up... could be worth looking at.

depth charge looks good too.

20. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    The french toast is meant to be a good clone of the foxx tone. I think the guy that invented the foxx is now president of Danelectro or something.