Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

h a r t k e......

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Guest User, Jun 11, 2005.

1. Guest User

Guest User

Apr 3, 2005
    well i have a p-bass with a 250 watt hartke head and a VX115 cab 300watts. Ive had it for about 3 months. I know that hartke arent the best but i got a good deal on this stuff. Im thinking about getting a distortion pedal.

Their something about it though, it the tone seems a little dry and when i change the tone where its not really deep i can hear the fret metal badly. Is this of my strings height? or type of strings?

2. I've been playing through a Hartke HA3000 and a VX115 for over a year, and I have never had the type of sound that you are describing.

A P bass usually gives a richer/fuller sound than a J, so if you are not getting a deep, open sound, then yes something is wrong. Try your bass through another amp/speaker to see if you get the same sound, and if not, get down to a Hartke dealer and check out another VX115. Scratchy distortion may be caused by a faulty speaker, e.g. the coil rubbing against the magnet assembly.

3. Guest User

Guest User

Apr 3, 2005
    ok thanks, Im dont think its anything with the cab or the bass, its my ears. I realize after months of playing bass that the jazz bass is the more versitile sound that i want.

example, yesterday i was playing a Marcus Miller signature and that jazz bass sound is sweet/ownage to me. I still like p-bass, but with a jazz bass you can make it sound deep like a p-bass. P-bass cant get the sound I prefer, so maybe a change later on will be good.

thanks

4. maybe your using steel strings and getting fret buzz?

Do you have the treble all the way up on the amp?

and do you get fret buzz when its unplugged?