Hal Leonard Bass Method Exercise Help

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Spaceboy1980, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Spaceboy1980

Spaceboy1980

Sep 6, 2011
    TN
    On page 24, exercise 42 it is written as sheet music with music notes identified by letter above each note. The sixth note in is identified as an A but by the scale is a E. There are other examples like this through out the exercise and I have a feeling I'm missing something.

Please help me understand this, I want to learn.

2. Jibudo

Jibudo

Mar 13, 2010
    Porto, Portugal
    Maybe, the letters are identifying the chords, not the notes itself.

3. Spaceboy1980

Spaceboy1980

Sep 6, 2011
    TN
    That's possible but the book has only faintly mentioned cords and keys.

4. Jeff Huber

Jeff Huber

Oct 15, 2010
    I'm inclined to agree with Jibudo that what you're looking at, up above the staff, are the chord notations. If they look something like E7 or E-7 (major and minor dom. seventh chords) or sometimes simply E (a triad chord based on E as the root) or perhaps something like C/G (a "slash" or inverted chord where the fifth interval to be played is the G below C and not the G above C), then you're looking at chord notations. They won't always be the same as the note you're given to play in a written bass part on those rare occasions when you're given a bass part.

Though notionally written for chord instrument players--mainly keys and guitars--chord notations are vital to many (most?) bass players in formulating their own bass lines as they indicate the appropriate root or inversion to play as well as suggesting chord tones from which one can build a nice sounding bass melody that will work harmonically with the main melody.

That's maybe more than you wanted to hear right now, and others can no doubt explain it better.

Jeff

5. Jeff Huber

Jeff Huber

Oct 15, 2010
    If you get hung up on chords and keys, you might want to check out Online Bass Lessons at StudyBass.com. It's the best online bass tutorial site I've found. Maybe others can recommend better ones.

Jeff

6. Spaceboy1980

Spaceboy1980

Sep 6, 2011
    TN
    Thank you, I'll show better how it is written to help you help me. This is the first four measures:

Above: D A | G D | G A | D A |

Sheet: D #C | B A | B E | D A A |

The text above the exercise says it's in the key of D.

7. _chrispy

_chrispy

Jul 20, 2011
    Yeah top line is chords.

8. Spaceboy1980

Spaceboy1980

Sep 6, 2011
    TN
    Thanks guys. On with my studies and practice!

9. AMp'D.2play

AMp'D.2play Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2010
    NJ
    Written just above exercise #42:

"Notice how the bass is not always playing the root when the chords change. You can play other notes that belong to the chord (This will be explained in depth in Book 2)."

This happens a few times throughout the exercise, i.e., in the 2nd measure, the chord is D but it's notated for you to play an A.

In both cases, you're playing the 5th of the chord. As Ed wrote above, you'll get to that later in the book. ;)

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021