1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hambuckers? p/j ? j? which one you prefer?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hery123, Sep 29, 2008.

1. hery123

hery123

Sep 29, 2008
    what is the advantages of havin 2hambuckers? and if i buy a j bass will i feel the need of hambuckers? i m not a slap freak but i want a guitar that i can do everything i want so which pick up i should prefer you think?
    thx for replies xD

2. Ampeg SVT

Ampeg SVT Son, I am disappoint.

Sep 9, 2006
    whats a hambucker? ;)

3. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    There are a lot more variables involved besides just the configuration of the pups, and humbucker, split-P, single-coil-P, and J pups all sound different. A pair of humbuckers, with coil-tapping, and a preamp with and active/passive switch is probably the most versitile setup for a variety of sounds, but even then, there are some sounds that you probably can't quite nail.

That said, no matter how versitile the instrument is, I tend to always end up happiest with a simple P-bass in my hands. However, I have just added a G&L ASAT (dual HB) to my stable and am looking forward to exploring its possibilities.

4. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    I think it's a kind of sandwich. ;)

5. Ampeg SVT

Ampeg SVT Son, I am disappoint.

Sep 9, 2006
    Oh and to answer your question I prefer P-Js.

I think if you want something super versatile get a bass with humbuckers but make sure they have a feature so you can split the coils to single coils. You could possible find unlimited amounts of tone.