1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hamer 5-string worth upgrading..??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sojhen, Mar 12, 2005.

1. Like the title says I own a Hamer 5-string cruise bass... I love the little thing.. But! Is it worth changing pick ups.. electronics etc.. If you can't tell I have NO knowledge in the customizing department and I know a majority of you guys do... The bass is a keeper either way but is she worth puting some money into,... I'm by no means rich,.. but if it's worth it she deserves it... help? :help:

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    even the imports.... I've got a "Hamer" labeled early Slammer series 5 string. Real playable for a cheap bass, I swapped the pickups for a pair of used Barts (the P in a Jazz case style) and it's a great sounding bass now too. If the strings weren't soo tightly spaced, I'd surely play it more.... I defretted and epoxied it the week I got it (intended to before purchase).

3. My bass is Korean, Nevertheless I am VERY fond of it.... I feel like a samurai would about his katana or wakazashi you could say.. Not to sound corny it's true... I love it... I will buy another bass eventually but I will NEVER sell this one... It has fostered my growth as a bass player and been there for support... (god that sounds weird) But I'm sure you guys have similar feelings about your axes(or swords lol)... But , would you think that because it's a Korean model that it might not be worth it..? :confused:

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    [​IMG]

I'm not sure which country it's from, but it's from that region of the world for sure.
    I love how it sounds with the $80 of used Barts I put in it!

Track 1

Track 2

Both recorded direct to sound card into cakewalk via the DI of a late 90s Ashdown combo.

5. Those are some sleek basses you have there.... I'd like to also get a different pick guard and do some little cosmetic touch ups... I actually want to carve japanese into the bass itself,... wonder if I could find someone with the skill to do that.... Sadly Hamer only makes one kind of pick guard for my kind of bass ... how sad.... Any suggestions on how I should go about moding it..?
    :bassist:

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us