1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

HAMER 8 string bass info requested

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mcfid, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Hello!

We are now moving to a new house and when packing my bass gear I found my HAMER 8 string bass again and was about the model info

photos

It has a four digit serial number stamped into the wood: 0495
    Is it one of those 680 custom instruments I´ve read about?
    It´s color is black/a bit olive-y... no idea how the hamer-name was for this color.

Can you please help me finding out it´s production date (late 70s, early 80s?)?
    What is the name of this bass guitar? Simply Hamer 8 string?

Thank you for your help!
    Regards
    mcfid/Austria

@admin: thanks for editing! ;)

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Are you NUTS? Keep that sucker. Nothing sounds like that bass.

No wait...I changed my mind...sell it. Who can play 8 strings? I'll give you $150 for it and dispose of it for free.

bholder likes this.
  3. NOVAX

NOVAX

Feb 7, 2009
    Kalifornia
    Days after its gone you'll get the call from the high paying "Dream Police-a tribute to Cheap Trick" and you'll be kicking yourself.

4. Bobby Marshall

Bobby Marshall

May 29, 2008
    PM sent.

5. mc2ny

mc2ny

Aug 1, 2003
    That bass is from 1981.

The factory logs show it as Cherry Transparant color....So, unless you bought it new and know that is the original paint, it might be a refin?
    There IS a flying V two SN@s away from this one that is Blue Transparent, so you might have an outside chance that the factory log is incorrect and your's was originall blue. The color does look like a very aged trans/blue or green.

I have a few old Hamer basses close in SN#s to your's.

In it's present shape, if the neck is still good without any bow/cracks/repairs....with the finish sanded off the neck and the finish steel wooled like ti looks....worth $800-1000 US range as my guess, if no issues other than the finish and you have OHSC.

I sold one of my B8S basses very close in SN# to this one last fall that had a minor reglued partial headstock repair and mint pro refin to original color (face of headstock/logo was still original matching color) in that price range.

6. sorry for the....mhhhhh.... bit late reply.....!! ;)

Thank you mc2ny for your very very helpful answer!!!!!!
    I decided not to sell the bass and it is still in my collection.
    Best regards from Vienna,
    mcfid

7. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I'll bid $151! :woot:

8. ...ggg... nice try..... I know it's worth 169,- .... at least!!:smug:
    Regards from Vienna
    Stefan

bholder likes this.
  9. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Enjoy it, lovely bass! :)

mcfid likes this.
  10. mc2ny

mc2ny

Aug 1, 2003
    BTW....

If you decide to sell it, I have a friend in Austria who owns one of my early Hamer 8-strngs like your's (and a few other Hamers of mine.)

He might be interested and it would save you having to ship ot out of the country.