1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hans Phiesler?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by fierrosfamily, Apr 18, 2010.

1. fierrosfamily

fierrosfamily

Apr 18, 2010
    Wondering if anyone has heard of this bass? Not sure if I spelled it right. Can't find any info on the internet. We were told it has a flamed maple back and sides and a curved top.
    Would appreciate any info or insight.
    Thanks!

2. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    I think you mean a "carved" top. It seems you are looking to buy a bass. Where do you live? Where did you see the bass in question? What's your budget? What's the asking price? Please help us to help you. You may wish to consult the newbie links here as they contain a wealth of information for new buyers.

Edit-- Are you referring to the "Fiedler" basses?

3. fierrosfamily

fierrosfamily

Apr 18, 2010
    Ooops, typo, did mean carved. But also were told it is a spruce top. We are taking my son to look at the bass today. He is pretty advance for his age so not a beginner. Found on Craigs list. Price is $950. Picture and discription is in mint condition. Here is the add info:

UPRIGHT BASS, DOUBLE BASS, STRING BASS SOLID CARVED TOP W/ CASE MINT COND.

I am selling my 3/4, upright,bass with a solid carved top. I have kept this bass is in mint condition. It has a ebony fingerboard and good quality "Tyrolian" tuners. style tuners. The sound is superb! It is deep and rich with a lot of punch. This is not a plywood top bass! It has a carved, solid spruce top.

I recently had it completely adjusted and set up with new strings, bridge etc. I have put on the adjustable bridge with the "wheels". You can adjust the height (action) anywhere you want! It plays just great!

I am including a new, custom fit bag. This is a top quality bag with a lot of padding which protects the bass. Feel free to email me with any questions. You are welcome to come and play it all you want. You must see and hear to appreciate this instrument. Bass and gig bag all for $950 firm. Sorry, but emails with offers will not receive a response. No offers considered or accepted.

Thanks for your help.

4. drurb

Apr 17, 2004
    With only that information, it's a pig in a polk. I'm guessing it's a hybrid bass with carved top and ply ribs and back. Unless you have considerable expertise concerning evaluation of a double bass, I strongly suggest that you take along someone who does (your son's tacher?). It's also a good idea to ask that the sale be contingent upon inspection by a qualified luthier.

Ah, SF Bay area...

Hard to tell from the pics in the listing right here. Maybe someone else here can identify it.

5. fierrosfamily

fierrosfamily

Apr 18, 2010
    Good suggestions. Maybe we can get some better info and spelling on the name after we take a look today. Thanks again for your imput.

6. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    Whoa up there Doc!

'Polk' is a transitive verb, ie doing the polka. A 'poke' on the other hand, is a large ungainly neck thingy to keep your pig from getting his head through the weald fence and chomping on the veggies.

A pig in a poke.

7. drurb

Apr 17, 2004
    Right you are! Sorry 'bout that. Confession: I was unsure and looked up the spelling. Damn search came back a "polk." Clearly incorrect. Mea culpa.

8. Dammit, Doc.
    I always thought you were never wrong. :crying:

9. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    Where I come from a "poke" is a burlap sack-you don't want to buy a pig in one without first having a look at the pig.

10. drurb

Apr 17, 2004
    Well, they say there's a first time for everything. :D

Indeed, that's where the saying comes from. Then again, I've never bought a pig, in a bag or otherwise. :)