1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hardly any volume from an SM57

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by jonnyboy559, Apr 28, 2010.

1. jonnyboy559

jonnyboy559

Mar 4, 2007
    Hi everyone. I am looking to experiment with blending my Realist pickup with a microphone. I tried putting an SM57 on a boom stand, and plugging it into my GK800RB with 12" avatar NEO cabinet using an XLR to 1/4 cable, just to see what the mic alone would sound like, because I don't have a device to blend the pickup and mic yet. I could not get hardly any sound from the mic, even with the amp cranked. I put it in every different place next to the bass and it didn't really make a difference. Any advice?

2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    Cape of New Jersey
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music (retired)
    It's an impedance mismatch. The XLR to 1/4 inch adaptor must be the type that has a transformer within to up the approx 150 ohm impedance of the SM57 to the high impedance input of your amp.

3. atheos

atheos

Sep 28, 2008
    Tampere, Finland
    Usually dynamic mics are about 150 to 300 ohms but the amp expects signal with approximately 10,000 ohm impedance so I guess you see there's an issue ;)

4. morris33333

morris33333

Nov 19, 2006
    radio shack sells these adapters for short money, about $15. The one I have is Radio Shack part #274-016C and converts "Lo-z" 3-pin XLR connector to a "Hi-z" 1/4" 2-conductor plug connector (like a guitar plug). I had to buy a cable to make the mic-adapter connection. I think the "shack" has adapters with different connection configurations but beware, some of them looked like they converted Hi-z to Lo-z vs what you need (Lo-z to Hi-z)

5. jonnyboy559

jonnyboy559

Mar 4, 2007
    Thanks a lot fellas. I'll be visiting Radioshack in the next couple of days.

Jon