Hartke VS Thunderfunk

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by heath_the_great, Oct 31, 2004.

1. allrigghhty...im definately gonna get a new head next, and im torn between the two, a Thunderfunk, and a Hartke HA5500..

im running a 4x10 + 1x15 setup, 25oW@8 and 3oow@8..i love the tone with both head, and i can get my sound with either....but what would be the more appropriate head to get to compliment my setup..the hartke puts out 100w more and is roughly $500aus cheaper

advice from people who have owned/gigged one/both would be most appreciated....

this head will be my gigging/recording amp as well
  2. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    I've not heard the Hartke, but the I think the TFunk would be perfect for your cabs.

Don't be fooled by the watts rating. I would be willing to wager that the TFunk would be louder. It is very conservatively rated and has a big sound.
  3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I own a Hartke 5500. So far it's been a great amp for me. I run a 2x10/1x15 [both 8ohm] setup. It's plenty loud for me. I rarely set the volume past 4 or 5. I set the bass knob around 3 o'clock and the treble knob around 2 o'clock. It has a switchable graphic eq section that I rarely use. It also has a compressor which I set at 12 o'clock. I know nothing about Thunderfunk products. But the Hartke has been reliable for me.
  4. HRC Matt

HRC Matt

Aug 31, 2004
    Columbus, Ga
    buy a gallien krueger 700RBII. its 599.99. it will kick that hartke butt in power and tone capabilities. i don't know much about thunderfunk so i'd compare the gallien to it, and drop the hartke. hartke are cheap and in my opinion aren't worth a dime. before i bought my gallien i used my friends hartke 5500. the watts on this unit are exaggerated. it's suppose to be the same as the gallien but in my opinion that hartke is only about true 300-350 watts.
  5. waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    I'd go with the Thunder funk based on the sole fact that you have access to Mr. Funk via this forum.
  6. {OE}

Sep 23, 2004
    Connecticut, U.S.

I would go with the Thunderfunk over the Hartke simply for the fact that I prefer semipara./parametric E.Q.

I currently own a Hartke 4000 and Hartke 2200 cab; its been a totally reliable setup for me. I think Hartke is really good mid-level gear overall, though Ive tried just about everything they make, and the only things that worked for me were the 4000 head and 2200 cab. The 1x15 cab, which I did like, was not rated high enough for my needs.

Personally, I have never liked the sound of most G.K.'s
    The only GK that could even compete with theHartke 4000 (soundwise) was a 1001RB and that cost significantly more... YEMV
  7. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

It may have been the cab or cabs used. I have a 300 watt amp as well and the Hartke is definitely louder and has more headroom. Granted 200 watts more doesn't add much in decibels but it is louder...a lot louder! Cheap? In what way? In a 'I dropped it and it don't work no mo'' kinda way? Why are folks saying Hartke's are cheap without providing viable proof! In fact I 'hear' more about GK's breaking down but I can't call it! Make your own choice based on your ears, affordability and common sense.
  8. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America

Superb quality control
    Superior components
    Sounds great flat or EQ-d
    Extremely versatile

And as said previously, you have access to Dave Funk here.

My second one is one the way! :hyper:
  9. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Alright, now what is your budget? Can you afford the Thunderfunk? For the money, Hartke is a good buy. If you can afford better, then go for something else. Have you considered a Power Amp/Pre Amp setup? If you can afford the Thunderfunk, then you can afford a PA/PA setup.
  10. Waabs

Waabs Employee, Musical Instrument Retail

Aug 1, 2004
    Woah. Thunderfunk is in Australia? Do you know what distributor brings them in?
  11. Get the T-funk. No comparison. Easy question.
  12. not yet waabs..he's still deciding wether to or not...he already carrys acme and alembic

but as for my budget..at the moment..i got no budget :p ..but im saving...and im not to keen on a seperate pa/pa setup...i just dont like em....i prefer a more simplistic setup like 1 or 2 cabs and a head, plus i like to drive my heads a little to get a little grit from them

im not tempted by GK at all, i would be getting a SWR 8004, but SWR has already discontinued it :crying: ...and the thunderfunk and hartke are the best heads ive tried so far...and i dont really see what price has to do with it..i mean, just becuase its more expensive doesnt mean its better...these are the two heads that have grabbed my attention and pretty much made me drool

but there is one amp if i find one of that thes two will be dropped out the window :D and thats a peavey mark 4, 7 or 8...the peavey mark series are incredible..i once saw a gig where a guy was using a mark 4 with a 15+410 and the head fell off the top of his amp, landed, bounced a few times and it never missed a beat, and it went strong for the rest of the show...
  13. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    If you're getting the same sound out of both heads, the Hartke would probably work for you.

I haven't tried that particular Hartke model but I do own a 7000. For me there's an obvious sound quality difference between it and my ThunderFunk. The ThunderFunk is in a different league tonally for me. Did you get a chance to play both at live levels?

We all hear what we hear and like what we like. Go with your gut.
  14. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

known crap vs. legendarily forum raved product?

answer should be apparent, no? :smug:

but seriously, i cant stand Harkte gear. looks fugly, sounds equally so. they've also been notoriously unreliable, and flimsy for me. cant vouch for their customer service, but it better be good enough to keep up with their crappy product.

i'd rather go with the TF, and develop that pro relationship with a quality maker who regularly posts here. anything goes awry, you'll know you'll be able to contact the dooder who made the darn thing.
  15. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Unreliable? Proof please! :eyebrow:
  16. This is really a comparison of tone and volume.

If you like tone, get the Funk.

If you don't care about your tone in any way, get the Hartke.
  17. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I've seen a lot of seriously abused Hartkes. I haven't seen one well kept one with problems. Maybe there's a correlation?

18. geoffzilla

Oct 30, 2001
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification
    I've had the same hartke 3500 for close to 10 years. It has always been racked, but I woudn't say that it's been "pampered" by any means. It has had one trip to the shop, which cost 50 dollars in labor(rush job), and 5 dollars in parts.
    I think there's something to be said for Brad's comment. A lot of the people buying less expensive gear, most likely don't give a crap about it. I don't think that's Hartke's fault.
  19. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    There are two kinds of musicians. Those who know how to use equipment and those who don't.

I'll leave it to others to decide which kind you are.