1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Has anyone ever thought about micro-chip recovery ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mixx80, Aug 24, 2012.

1. mixx80

mixx80

Nov 2, 2009
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist:Lakland Basses
    I was reading a post about stolen irreplaceable guitars. I then wondered has anyone every thought of micro-chip technology to recover stolen guitars. The lo-jack of recovering your instruments ?

2. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User

Jul 29, 2010
    Downstate CA
    If you mean the kind of meecro-chips we put in our pets, those don't contain GPS, so you can't track them. They're just for ID purposes.

3. Carvin puts SNAGG chips in their basses at the factory. it doesn't send out a homing signal, but it can be programmed with the owner's info and be scanned.

4. It's a great idea....the "problem" (at least as I see it) is expense. Something along the lines of Lo-Jack would, most likely, increase the price on ANY bass by 20 to 30%.

I'd personally LOVE something like this, but I believe (that to the builders) it would prove to be cost prohibitive.

5. mixx80

mixx80

Nov 2, 2009
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist:Lakland Basses
    Cool !

6. It's entirely possible. Just use the same technology that enables iPhone users to track their lost or stolen phone. Just not probable.

You better get to work on that. There probably are some very high-end instrument owners that would be interested. The only drawback is that it would be difficult to make it permanent to the perp doesn't rip it out and attach it to a varmint, Total Recall style.

7. Gadgetjunky

Gadgetjunky

Aug 9, 2011
    How about a Low-Tech solution like putting your contact info on the back of the access cover plate on the back, so if it gets worked on or looked at by a pawn shop they would find it. And it could be a sticker or a business card to not hurt the value of the guitar.

"THIS GUITAR IS STOLEN - PLEASE CONTACT ________"

8. ...and how long would it take a thief to figure this out and replace the cover? Look, bottom line is that if a thief wants to rip you off, he will do it. Unfortunately, unless you add a rider to your homeowners or renters insurance, there isn't much call to bring out the cops for a bass guitar.

Seems like today, they have much more important things to worry about.....damn shame, but true....

9. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    i was gonna post this, but wasent sure if i remembered correctly. thats what i recalled reading.

unrealistic, but to some extend comforting i guess- if you have to prove in a court that its your instrument, you can.

10. Gadgetjunky

Gadgetjunky

Aug 9, 2011
    Sure, they may find it, or they might not. But it's just an extra layer of protection. Wouldn't that be better than doing nothing? I'm going to do it.

11. If they were able to construct a GPS device small enough, a tiny GPS device would be a perfect solution. (Though it may not prove useful if the theif decides to break down the instrument to sell for parts.)

12. recreate.me

recreate.me

Apr 2, 2010
    Ontario
    I bet some smart electrician/engineer could figure out a way to wire a GPS chip into an active basses pickups. Basically whenever the battery is in the bass it would be able to be tracked. This would also make it really hard to remove without taking everything apart and then re-assembling it.

Sure you could just take the battery out, but then as soon as one gets put back in it will be active again, and no pawn shop or buy would buy an active bass without putting in a battery to test the electronics.

It would be pricey, but a 3000$ active bass would be worth the 200$ to some...

You could probably do the same with amps, have it active whenever its in use. Maybe send a signal to some computer program that gives you a time and location on Google Maps like the iPhones do...

13. The only way it's feasible would be to embed the device in the guitar body. If a phone can be tracked (and even disabled) from your home computer, same is true for anything else you embed the device in. Like a bass or a cheating spouse.:D

14. recreate.me

recreate.me

Apr 2, 2010
    Ontario
    lol you can track and cut the electronics on the bass. that would be perfect haha

15. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

Hmmm. You have me thinking. I'm having a custom bass made right now...

16. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
  17. Couldn't harm anything! If a couple hundred of us do it, it would go undetected by thieves, but if companies started adding them to the bass, it wouldn't be too long before that would be the first thing the thief would check.

Shoot, I may just do the same thing right now!! ;)

18. The SNAGG chips are a good idea, but the problem is that it's not very widespread technology. I get the feeling Carvin did it more so they could keep track of builds than for security purposes. They then marketed it as a feature.

19. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

As said, my Carvin has a SNAGG chip... the only problem is that maybe 12 pawn shops in North America probably have the technology to actually scan the freakin' thing.

I don't even know how to register my SNAGG chip, I just registered my warranty with Carvin.

I suppose it doesn't even matter, my Carvin is pretty unique so I would recognize it if I saw it.

20. CnB77

CnB77

Jan 7, 2011
    NJ
    At the moment you can't economically do it. Here's such a device for dogs: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=124371

It's $300 just for the tag (so you need to shell out more if you don't have a device that can already track it), and it only gets 24-48 hours battery life. You might have difficulty getting it into a cavity on your bass. It'll also add about a 1/2 pound to your bass (could be a problem for some). It's just inconvenient overall, and there's no way factories will start doing it as standard until we have a GPS/battery revolution. You can't do this passively; you need a battery so you can tell the satellite where the tag is and update that fairly frequently. To get good battery life you need both of these: GPS units with significantly lower power consumption and tiny, lightweight batteries that hold a lot of juice.

Possible in the future, but even when the technology works it might not become a real thing. Someone with a multi-thousand dollar bass (i.e., the people who would want this the most) probably won't want to have it carved up to put a tracking device in. People with cheaper instruments would likely just decide to get an insurance policy if they're so worried and then just buy an identical bass with the settlement cash.