1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Has fleetwood mac ever used a 5 string bass before?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Brandon H, May 1, 2020.

1. Brandon H

Brandon H

May 1, 2020
    Fleetwood macs song so afraid is so low it sounds like mcfleetwood either tuned down his bass or used a 5 string, I found a website called songsterr and it gives you tabs to songs and when I searched that song 2 verisons popped up, one was played on the bottom 2 D&G stings and the second was the E and A stings played in G&D then G# but he always sounds deeper like its done on a B string. Pluse on one of there concert videos I seen in YouTube he only played that song on 1 string so does mcfleetwood sometimes use a 5 string? Also my biggest trouble is being able to tell where they are by listening to how they're playing so is there away to tell what string they played a key on? Like if there in E like fleetwood Mac is usually in is there away to tell what string he's on?

2. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    I have played a lot of FM songs over the years and don't recall a single one that required any lower than E (41.2 Hz).

ahc and comatosedragon like this.
  3. Brandon H

Brandon H

May 1, 2020
    Ok, thank you. I haven't either but i kinda wonder if he tunes his bass down if he doesn't use a low B string? Idk if you've played the song (I'm so afraid) but its really deep sounding, lower then a E could it be the amp he uses? Mine has a standard and vintage option and it sounds lower if its in vintage and I can set the amount of vintage i want, also wondering since your a fellow FM fan I was wondering if you know of any sites I could get fleetwood mac bass tabs? The site I found only has a few songs but its a grate site, you hit play and it does the bass line threw the song and shows what note he's on at that time. Ill post pics of the amp to show you what option im talking about and a screen shot of the website I found. You might like it as well.

Attached Files:

4. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    I suspect your confusion might be that Fleetwood Mac has historically performed "I'm So Afraid" in two different keys. Depending which recording you are playing along with, your TAB might be in the wrong key. Part of becoming a good bassist is being comfortable playing songs in any key. Lots of bands perform their songs live in a lower key than the recording, to make it easier on the singer's voice.

Your TAB is of the original album version in the key of G Minor, 2 flats (Bb, Eb). But many of FM's live performances of this song are in the key of F Minor, 4 flats (Bb, Eb, Ab, Db).

If you're playing along with a G Minor recording (like the original album version) then the notes of the bass line are G, D, Eb, C. But if you're playing along with an F Minor version (like the live version on The Dance) then the notes of the bass line are F, C, Db, Bb.

It sounds to me like this song was recorded on a 4-string in standard EADG tuning. The reason John McVie's bass is "deep sounding" is because he is an experienced, tasteful, and skilled bassist. It's a "simple" bass line performed by a master player! He'd been in FM almost 10 years when he recorded this song. If you've been playing less than 10 years then there is no shame if you don't sound exactly like McVie.

The best way to learn this stuff is to find a good teacher. But not all bass teachers are equally good at teaching "ear training"! I took bass lessons for years before I finally got halfway-decent at ear training. The "breakthrough" moment for me, was finding a music-theory teacher at the local college, who was a pianist not a bassist, but who was excellent at teaching ear training. Ask around your circle of musician friends, if anyone knows a good ear-training teacher, who can teach you the skill set to figure out what key your favorite songs are in, and which notes to play on the bass. I would encourage you to use your ears (not TAB) for learning easy songs like "I'm So Afraid."

Last edited: May 2, 2020
  5. Brandon H

Brandon H

May 1, 2020
    Exactly, when I played the song I did 3rd on the E 3 times one on D and open on D and 1 on D like it shows on this app i found. This is a pretty good app for playing songs (when you can find the one you want) but I learned playing it an easier way to play it is do 3rd fret on E and 5th fret on A then 5th fret on E its deeper and easier then the way this app shows. ....you wouldn't happen to know how I could get tabs or note for the florence song lover to lover, what the water gave me or bedrood hymns would ya? Ive had a hell of a time going by ear on thoes. Screenshot_20200616-000331.png

Attached Files:

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 14, 2021