Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Has noone heard of Billy Sheehan?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Sal_Paradise, Jul 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I've heard Jaco: WOW!
    I've heard Stu Hamm: Also WOW!
    I've heard Wooten: More WOW!

I've heard a lot of great bassists. But none have impressed me so much as Billy Sheehan. Les, Stanley, Victor, Jaco, Flea and so on. All of these players are at a level of skill I could aspire to. But, Billy's playing is just beyond comprehension to me. I did a search and couldn't find his name. I skimmed through some threads and still nothing! Why is that?!

Cheers!

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    It is not.

Do a search. Billy is well regarded and highly respected in these parts (except for my personal disdain for his membership in Co$).

3. Well... I knows wheres I can puts it!

Merci, Monsieur Moderator!

I did a search of his name in the Bass Players forum and gotst nothing back. Maybe I'm asking the wrong questions... ;)

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

5. Dublin-Bass

Dublin-Bass Guest

Sep 24, 2003
    Dublin, Ireland
    I've seen Billy Sheehan perform live before, and though he is
    an extremely good player I'm not all that in awe of his style as
    I've never been a big fan of bassists who play similar to the
    style of lead guitarists.
    Don't get me wrong, I do like Billy Sheehan and his music and
    if I could do all that then I'm sure I wouldn't complain,
    but as it is I'm more into bassists that are
    very skilled technically, like Flea, Steve Harris,Scott Thunes
    the late James Jamerson and Jaco, but who aren't all showy
    & flash, if thats the correct term to use?
    Just my 5 cents worth.

6. Kavorka

Kavorka

Mar 28, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    I don't disagree with you. I just think Billy got gigs like Mr. Big and DLR because he is flashy. If you haven't listened to Niacin, check it out. With just the B-3 and drums, Billy gets to really stretch and do some amazing stuff.

7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    are you kidding me? is that for real? wow, i didn't know that. what's up with the musician recruitment with those guys?

8. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I kid you not. I even had an email exchange with Mr. Sheehan over this topic in 1999 or so (very prompt and personal replies btw).

http://www.scientology-kills.org/celebrities/sheehan.htm

9. Bassman1988

Bassman1988

Jul 16, 2004
    I have seen him perform with Steve Vai and it was pretty good, but in my opinion i think that there are better bassist's out there, listen to John Myoung from Dream Theatre

10. I've seen him play on the DVDs Steve Vai: Live at the Astoria and G3: Rockin' in the Free World and have heard some live bootlegs. I've listened to many, many bassist, and few even compare to that man's ability. No known man can spider-walk as quickly and smoothly as he can (none that I've seen anyways), and I've heard him play some solos where I could swear it was Yngwie Malmsteen shredding, but sure enough, it's good ole Billy Sheehan. The thing that baffles me, though, is his ability to bend the ever-loving crap out of his necks and not have them snap like a twig, lol.

11. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    OK, I'm ignorant. What is "Co$"?

12. hodgy

hodgy

May 5, 2004
    Bothell, WA
    Tech Support- Ampeg/ Mackie
    Is that the Church of Scientology? I guess the First Church of Appliantology is just as good, huh? Where the hell is the Heaven's Gates kids when you need 'em, huh? Oh yeah, mmmm, all dead with Nikes and shrouds... Sorry.
    Back on Subject...
    I was introduced to Talas when I was but a wee one, and BS was way beyond my comprehension, as I got to far into "metal". Now, I look at the Vai DVD and I am completly blown away and my attempts at anything Billy-like make my drummer pissed off. So what the hell does he run in his rack? Lots of goodness. What the hell makes me love him so? Probably 'Eat 'em and Smile' and 'Skyscraper'. Vai albums, but Sheehan shines as a supporting charachter.

13. The neck extends into the body or some such crazy thing like that. It's a bolt-on, but... yeah. He explains it in one of his video bass lessons.

14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    HAHA, funny thread title.

15. I've heard of his Yamaha Attitude basses, and they are

fugly

I mean, c'mon; pink with multi-colored scalloped fretboard? Do they come with a fresh set of neon green biker shorts?

I had to buy my biker shorts.

His Ampeg preamp rocks, though.

16. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    My link pretty much explains it - Church of $cientology

17. Billy is from suburban Buffalo, NY where I spent the first 22 years of my life. I used to frequent a club in a suburban strip mall where Talas played regularly. The first time I saw/heard/felt an SVT was in about 1971 or so...Billy was playing an old P-Bass through it. He was a monster player then and he's a monster player now. His style isn't my cup of tea but monster chops are monster chops.

18. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Let's call up the Super Best Friends and stage an intervention.

19. Billy Sheehan? Nope, never heard of him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.