1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Having stuff shipped by Guitar Center

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LotusCarsLtd52, Apr 30, 2010.

1. LotusCarsLtd52

LotusCarsLtd52

Dec 6, 2009
    I might buy a new bass courtesy of some money that's recently come my way :hyper:

Because it's not a model regularly kept in stock I may need to buy online and have it shipped (no sales tax either!). How is GC with shipping? Do they work to get it to you safely and in one piece?

2. elavate7

elavate7

Jul 8, 2009
    its all about "THE POCKET"
    what you getting?

3. DudeWheresMy182

DudeWheresMy182

Jun 23, 2004
    Milwaukee
    if you buy it from the website, itll come from a distribution center of GC. if you buy it from a store that does carry it, they pack it and ship. I used to work in the warehouse of a GC and I took pride in shipping things veryyyyyyy well, although i have bought a couple used pieces from stores that were shipped less than perfect but turned out fine.

Everything should be fine, and if it doesnt work out, you can return it.

4. LotusCarsLtd52

LotusCarsLtd52

Dec 6, 2009
    Seriously leaning towards MIJ RI Mustang.

5. elgranluis

elgranluis

Feb 14, 2003
    El paso, TX
    the stuff comes packed from the factory and GC packs the factory box inside a larger packing box.

Plus if something goes wrong, just ship it back!

6. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    I prefer Fedx over UPs.. GC uses UPS whereas SamAsh uses Fedx. I just had GC shipp 2 items via 2day air UPS and it went ok. I live in South Fla and I prefer Samash since they ship from Tampa. I pay the sales tx but get a good deal just the same. I bought an acoustic guitar from GC and it was a great deal, shipped in without having to return it. IMO if you are going to buy a bass from GC,then pay the extra shipping for faster service. UPS tends to be a little slow for ground and they shipp from KC. My recent bass purchases came from Samash and the bass was in the case and then in 2 shipping boxes. Either company you'll be ok.....:cool:

7. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    The best way is to ask at your local GC store if any other stores stock it. If they do your store can order a transfer from them. I do this all the time! The plus side is no shipping charges and if it gets trashed in shipment GC deals with UPS and not you. The down side is that store to store transfers are supposed to be fast, but in reality they usually aren't. And that means you get a pretty good dose of the "waiting for bass syndrome". But in my case it seems it's always been worth the wait.

8. MTMTEX

MTMTEX Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2008
    austin tx.
    I just had a Peavey Gbass sent from a GC in Oregon to Texas that I found over the internet and had no problems at all. I bought it last thursday night, they called me with a tracking number Friday and it arrived safe and sound Wednesday afternoon. I would definately buy another one this way in the future.

9. LotusCarsLtd52

LotusCarsLtd52

Dec 6, 2009
    What I was thinking of doing, to avoid the insanely high sales tax where I live, is to buy from a GC in a suburb. If not that then order it online and have it shipped.

10. ojo

ojo

Jun 12, 2006
    Round Lake
    I had a preamp shipped from the El Paso store to Chicago, and it was a bit of an ordeal. I found both locations to be somewhat disorganized, and really didn't seem to be well sync'd up. Also, while it only cost $9 to have it shipped, the packing was terrible. The pre was wrapped with one strip of bubble wrap, then put it loose in an oversized box along with an unsecured power cord.

On the plus side, I got the benefit of the 30 day return if I wanted/needed it, and got it shipped to my local store.

It all all worked out in the end, but it was kind of a hassle to get the stores to coordinate. Maybe I should have just purchased over the website, but I called the El Paso store to work out the deal.

As a side note, it IS possible to buy a used item at a store not local to you, and pay their sales tax. The downside is you can only have it shipped to the address associated to your credit/debit card.

I'm not knocking GC, just offering MY experience.

All that being said, I'd probably do it again if there was a used item I wanted at another store.

11. IntrepidCellist

IntrepidCellist

Sep 10, 2009
    Manhattan
    My only online order from GC came from their used department, and the manager was super friendly and helpful in finding me a case for the bass that actually fit (35" scale, long headstock syndrome!)

12. JmJ

JmJ

Jan 1, 2008
    NYC
    They take anywhere from two days to a week just to get in the UPS truck, patience required.

13. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Have it shipped to the local GC. You wont have to pay for shipping, IIRC, and you can inspect right in front of them before you take it home.

14. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    For me GC has been perfectly fine with shipping.
    But are you sure about the "no tax"?

I have had to pay tax on new items shipped in, as well as quoted tax on used items I called the out of state GC stores about. I was told it's because GC has stores in my area and company wide charge sales tax to out of state unless you are in OR or MT.

15. p0werslav3

p0werslav3

Feb 21, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    I've had stuff shipped from the GC central warehouse and it arrived fine.

I had a bass shipped from a GC store (bought from their used inventory) and when I got home the end of the box was open, exposing the hard shell case. Don't know how it happened but it didn't appear whoever shipped it from the store put a lot of effort into making sure the box was sealed tight.

16. Tonegasm

Tonegasm

Mar 22, 2010
    NJ
    I bought a bass from an out of state GC and they shipped it just fine and plenty fast.

17. The majority of the instruments I own/owned came shipped. The only problem I ever had was a NJ warlock guitar that got banged up, it was only cosmetic dings. Got 10% off and shipping refunded, fixed the dings with a sharpie.

18. bobwhite

bobwhite

Mar 11, 2010
    I bought two basses and some small stuff online from GC lately; all shipped to my house; all arrived in great shape, well packed and safe.

With their 30 day returns, even if things aren't right and you don't notice it right away, you can still return it for a refund so long as you don't scratch it, etc.

I returned one of the two basses--nothing wrong with it, just not my cup of tea--and they took it back, no questions asked, no problems, although I was very careful not to harm it in any way and to send all bits and pieces that came with it to them.

19. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Mike, I bought a used uPog from a GC down in Cali and they insisted that I had to pay tax...and as you know I live in Oregon. Also, I was hot to buy a used bass down in Dallas and have it treated as a mail order shipped to Oregon. They also insisted that I had to pay Texas taxes so I passed on it. They said it was because there was a local GC store.

Should I have gotten the manager involved?

20. The Growler

The Growler

Jan 26, 2008

This. I've done this a couple times.

You also don't have to be home for the delivery! Sweet.