1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Headphones for Drummer in a Cage

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by JKos, Mar 27, 2018.

1. JKos

JKos

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    Hello,
    I hope this is the appropriate forum. Given I'm not a member of any drumming forums, I thought I would at least give this a try here.

My church recently installed a full cage for the drum set. And while this dramatically controls the acoustic level of the drum set outside the cage exactly as intended, it has created a new problem. The drums are really loud inside the cage. I stepped in the drum cage for a while and it was pretty bad. And that was with a controlled, expressive, nuanced drummer. I can't imagine what it will be like with our very talented but heavy-handed teen drummer.

The drummer I know the best needs to find new headphones because the open headphones he has been using for years just let too much sound pressure through and he now has to turn the monitor mix up too loud.

He's not interested in in-ears. I've done some Googling and we are currently looking at the Sennheiser HD280 Pro model. Does anyone have any other recommendations?

Thank you,
    John

2. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    you want circumaural phones (closed back over the ear) as they provide isolation.,

3. JKos

JKos

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    Yes, exactly.

- John

4. Kevnn4

Kevnn4

Mar 19, 2015
    SF Bay Area
    Dec1975 likes this.
  5. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    sorry.. thought you were asking what kind :)

6. JKos

JKos

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    I've ordered the Sennheiser HD280 Pros to try out. They should be delivered today, I'll get the burn-in going and then he can try them at practice tomorrow. I looked at the "industry standard" Vic Firth model but, to be honest, reviews are not stellar for them and the Sennheisers have much better sound quality per folks who have compared both. Someone that used the Vic Firths for many years was blown away at what he had been missing when tried the Sennheisers.

Just trying to take care of my buddy's ears. He's out of town dealing with family issues so I know he's not thinking about it. He'll get back right before practice Thursday.

- John

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
    fakeneckplate'65 and s0c9 like this.
  7. If you can swing it try for the 380 pros they are the same as the 280 but have abit more clarity and a replaceable cable.

8. JKos

JKos

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    I considered the 380s at 50% more cost but decided on the 280s for now based on two factors. a) I'm thinking the differences between the 280s and the 380s may well be lost in the din of the inside of the drum cage. b) If reviews hold true, the 280s are already better than the Vic Firths so they should be totally fine.

I would like to hear the difference, though.

Keep the comments coming. Love it.

- John

9. Bassbeater

Bassbeater Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    Metrophones are the standard for drummers. They have a built in metronome. Bullet proof, drummer resistant.
    Metrophones

10. JKos

JKos

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    Interesting. If they are "the standard" then why do they not show up on reviews/best of/top 10 lists of headphones for drummers? I'll take a look.

Thanks,
    John

11. Bassbeater

Bassbeater Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    The "gold" standard. Metrophones are industrial quality. My only complaint is that they are a little bit heavy, but the last time I used them was a previous version. I make no claims to the top ten list you found. You can find cheaper cans that will work, but they will not be as sturdy. Read about them and decide if you need something that sturdy. :)
    https://www.thomann.de/fr/superlux_hd_665.htm?ref=search_rslt_casque+superlux_343931_42
    These Superlux have very good isolation, but a drummer might bang them up and ruin the cabling. I use them for guitars and vocal tracking. No bleed. Very wallet friendly.

12. Ulf_Hansson

Ulf_Hansson

Apr 15, 2014
    They are good and sturdy, but I'd hesitate to call them "standard"... I only know one drummer that uses them, and the metronome feature is actually kind of pointless.

If you really want to protect your (or your drummer's in this case) hearing, I'd still suggest a good pair of IEMs. Much better sound protection (and usually better sound per dollar), and if you really need to go drastic (like in one of these stupid drummer cages) you can put a pair of shooter cans on top of the IEMs.

13. JKos

JKos

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    So after two rehearsals and four services, the Sennheiser HD280 Pros have been deemed a smashing success. Drummer loves them. With excellent sound quality and lots of ambient noise attenuation, the level of detail in the monitor mix and quality is outstanding. He said he felt like he was back in the studio and plays better with a great mix in his ears.

As to longevity, they seem fairly sturdy and the cord is replaceable. Construction seems solid and I don't see any "I'm going to break here" indicators. The long, coiled cord is a pro and con. In the drum cage, it was just fine. For everyday listening, it's a bit much.

While I agree, he says he has always had issues with anything that goes in his ear canal.

- John

s0c9 likes this.
  14. Dec1975

Dec1975

Aug 30, 2006
    Cedar Park, TX
    These. Back in the 90's I switched from using over-ear cans to a set of in-ears, with a set of gun-range headphones over them. These Vic Firth's are vast improvement over that!

Kevnn4 likes this.