1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Headphones

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Chacotaco, May 19, 2017.

1. Chacotaco

Chacotaco

May 10, 2017
    Littlerock, CA
    I'm looking for headphones that I can use for recording Bass, guitar and vocals and also can be plugged into an Amp for silent practicing. In short I'm looking for a " do everything " pair of headphones and the price is not an issue. Thanks in advance.

2. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Also in the market for new cans. Subbed.

3. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    Used a number of different cans in various studio settings. Some were better than others but like fast cars, you get to the point of diminishing returns and then some get into the "too fragile to bring everywhere" tag or the "so high priced that only folks liking to brag on owning expensive gear" have them.

The current ones in use here are SONY MDR7506's with a pair at home and one in my cubicle at work for lunchtime practice if I have time or HAVE TO learn a new song. The set at home is about 4 or 5 years old and the pads are starting to flake off the black material, new pads are about $30 IIRC, the set at work is about 6 months old. 1st set paid $99, got a pair for my drummer for last Christmas, the pair at work(newest) was about $80 new at amazon with prime/free delivery.
    Amazon.com: Sony MDR7506 Professional Large Diaphragm Headphone: Musical Instruments

I'll check with our house venue pro-sound FOH guy(about to leave on a world tour and leave his understudy in charge for 6 months) and check with a friend(FOH for Journey) as to what they use for ya'll.

4. Robroy

Robroy

Jun 21, 2006
    Central Kentucky
    I swear by the ones in my avatar. There are "stellar labs" sold by MCMelectronics.com. The bass is so clean and powerful that the first time I tried them I thought I'd left my subwoofer on. To be clear, it is not that the bass is "loud". It is that it is very deep and flat.

And they are absurdly light and comfortable. They are over-ear and I can and have worn them for 8 hours straight. They are also durable. I've dropped that pair a LOT and ran over the cord with my chair's wheels more times than I can remember.

I have five pairs because they are only about $20 a pair. They are the ones with the black and red look. I like them better than my hundred dollar Sennheisers and my Koss pro4AA's.

5. Chacotaco

Chacotaco

May 10, 2017
    Littlerock, CA
    Thanks for the responses. I'm looking at these
    AKG K712 Pro Open-back Mastering and Reference Headphones
    Does anyone have any experience with these headphones?

Badwater likes this.
  6. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I went through this a while back and settled on the AKG K-240. Meet my needs, great sound, they do get a little warm after prolonged use, but being semi-open, not as bad as some. FWIW.

JRA likes this.
  7. Chacotaco

Chacotaco

May 10, 2017
    Littlerock, CA
    Well I'm torn between these headphones
    Audio-Technica ATH-R70x Open-back Dynamic Reference Headphone and the AKG's, I could use some help choosing.

8. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017
    It depends on if you want to hear ambient sounds while you're playing or if you want total isolation. AKG 240 Studio is great if you want to hear whats going on around you while you play. The Sennheiser HD 280 pro is a great isolation studio monitoring headphone. Both deliver great sound for recording and mixing. They are by no means audiophile quality. But they are a great value for studio work.

Wfrance3 likes this.
  9. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    I dig my AKG K240s. Versatile and cheap! I'm sure you could spend/get more, but try these. Even if they're not exactly what you are after they could be one of the 2 or 3 pairs you have "around". That's how mine started and they kinda gravitated into that comfortable pair that I usually grab.

10. DirkP

DirkP

Jan 18, 2013
    Hamburg, Germany
    The AKG's are very good, I have the K701, which are very similar to the K712. The K712 have more bass response and a removable cable.
    If you want to record vocals, I would prefer a closed design (feedback! or the mic records the leckage from the headphones).
    Headphones for monitoring purposes are different than headphones for mixing.

I own the K240s and the K141 too and as much as I liked them in the past, the newer designs are much better. The 240 and 141 were designed in the 70s and much has improved in headphone-design since then.

Although I like the definition of the K701, the headphones I use the most are not that popular among bass players or in studios, but among dj's: the AKG K267 Tiesto.

These are closed headphones with a special feature (some Beyerdynamic headphones offer a similar feature): they have a kind of bass-reflex system that you can change. It's not an EQ, it works in a mechanical way. You can change the settings between Studio (neutral), stage (more bass) and club (even more bass).
    I love that feature. If you want to have fun just playing bass and don't go to very high volumes, you simply use the club-setting. But if you're just listening to music or mix, you use the studio-setting.
    Another feature I like: it has removable cables, just one cable, but you can connect it to the left or the right capsule.
    Very comfortable, if you don't want to fight with the cable all the time.

petrus61 likes this.
  11. Chacotaco

Chacotaco

May 10, 2017
    Littlerock, CA
    Thanks all for the replies. Pulled the trigger on a pair of
    Audio-Technica ATHR70x's, unfortunately I saw this

12. Chacotaco

Chacotaco

May 10, 2017
    Littlerock, CA
    Thanks all for the replies. Pulled the trigger on a pair of
    Audio-Technica ATHR70x's, unfortunately I saw this IMG_0025.JPG IMG_0028.JPG IMG_0029.JPG when I was looking at headphones and "accidentally " bought it too....

Attached Files:

audreycashin, wizay, PillO and 3 others like this.
  13. abracadunphy

abracadunphy

May 22, 2015
    Pick some AKG stuff, don´t look for a lot of specs, unless you have a very healty ear, all sound very similar.

14. rodsnhawgs

rodsnhawgs Custom builder. G-ratio basses Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2010
    U.S., WV
    Grahams Groove and scowboy like this.
  15. My SONY MDR7506's are a few years old. I use them mainly in three situations: silent bass practice using a Line 6 POD HD500, silent drum practice with electronic drums, and with an Aviom personal monitor when playing acoustic drums at church (where their closed-back, over the ear design also controls the sound pressure level at my ears). They're comfortable, and sound great as monitors. Highly recommended.

bassplayer2014 likes this.
  16. Sid s

Sid s

Dec 22, 2016
    I use AKG K 702 and they are fantastic.

17. MCF

MCF

Sep 1, 2014
    US
    The 7506 is a decent headphone. I bought mine in the early nineties. I've replaced the earpads twice. They were perfectly fine up until I started using them to practice my bass. The right ear developed a buzz, and nothing I tried fixed it. And I really couldn't stand the pressure on my ears after about an hour.

I bought the $100 Phil Jones headphones a year ago. I like them. Great for practice and more comfortable than the Sony set. At least for me. Check them out on Phil Jone's website.

scowboy and Johnny Crab like this.
  18. physics

physics

Aug 7, 2009
    Berkeley, CA
    I have both the Audio Technica ATH M50x and the M70x. I use the M50 for monitoring my bass when I'm around others, they're both closed-back and provide good isolation.

For greater isolation I would suggest looking at the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro.

19. Gizmot

Gizmot Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Nashville area
    I use AKG K271 Studio and they're excellent closed back phones. Another model that works well is the AKG K181DJ. The K 181 never got the recognition or the success of the other models, but it is an excellent closed back phone. If you can find them, get an Austrian made set instead of Chinese ones.

20. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I've got a set of the Sony MDR-V6 headphones and couldn't be happier. They're inexpensive, sound really clean and uncolored, and go down to 5Hz (that's five hertz) so they're ideal for bass. And because the response is so flat (no bass boosting) - and goes from 5Hz-30KHz - you can wear them for hours without getting ear fatigue.

You can get them for around $70 at many places online like Amazon.

There are arguably "better" headphones. But nothing can touch these at the price. You'd need to drop at least an additional $200 to get something just a tiny bit better. Small wonder they've become an industry standard.

Nickweissmusic and Londo Molari like this.