1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Headphones!

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by slapmachine, Jan 23, 2012.

1. slapmachine

slapmachine

Oct 4, 2010
    PV, Kansas
    I currently have Amazon.com: Philips SHN9500 Active Noise-Canceling Headphone: Electronics a solid Phillips set of headphones, but I'm thinking about upgrading. I would like a switchable noise-canceling. 1/8th inch jack so I can use for recreational use with the quality and ability to be used in a studio setting. And most importantly I want the sound to be pristine and amazing.

A range of options would be great, I haven't necessarily decided a budget yet. If there is one that's just really solid that's in the middle region of a price spectrum than let me know about that!

Best regards,

Brooks

2. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

My all-time favorites for mixing and production - the Sony MDR-7506 studio pro headphones.

Amazon.com: Sony MDR7506 Professional Large Diaphragm Headphone: Electronics

Comes with a 1/4" stereo plug that unscrews to reveal a stereo 1/8" plug. 40 MM drivers, frequency response 10 Hz-20 kHz. These are closed-ear phones that fit around the ear so they're comfortable and isolate you acoustically.

HIGHLY recommended. 404 Amazon customer reviews, 4.5 stars. I've used them for 30 years.

3. slapmachine

slapmachine

Oct 4, 2010
    PV, Kansas
    For the acoustic isolation that it provides, is it controllable? The reason why I like the switchable noise-canceling on my headphones is when I go some place public and noisy like the airport or even just walking around town, it blocks a substantial amount of noise out.

Best regards,

Brooks

4. slapmachine

slapmachine

Oct 4, 2010
    PV, Kansas
    Anyone have an opinion on the HD 280 Pro headphones by Sennheiser? They're well-reviewed too.

Best regards,

Brooks

5. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    Personally, while I find the sound reproduction to be excellent, they fit rather snug on my head... not the most comfortable headphones in the world. Although if you're needing to be acoustically isolated from the other players they do a good job of that. I find the Sony's to be more comfortable, but they don't isolate as well... if that's important.

6. If you want decent headphones, don't get noise cancelling. Most quality headphones don't use anything but drivers. If you need to isolate noise, look for closed headphones. I use audio technica ATH M50s. You may want to look into Sure's, Dennon's, AKG's etc... No bose, Dr. Beats, or Skull crushers.

7. skidrawk

skidrawk

Jan 21, 2007
    Space City, TX
    I really love these too but for other reasons. They would not be my first choice for mixing. Actually I prefer not to mix using headphones since I trust my room. I do like to use these for reference. My drummers prefer them for tracking. They are well constructed and comfortable. The bass response is excellent too - great for jamming on bass. Overall they are an excellent value.

edit: I also like the way they fold up - they travel well.

8. AKG K77s are amazing, especially for the price.

9. Captain Bob

Captain Bob

Jan 4, 2009
    Nashville
    Depends on your needs and desired uses. I prefer open phones....AKG 701's.
    You'll need to research any headphone in person if possible, at an appropriate retailer. I suppose that's easier in some places, more so than others.

10. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    I have 2 pairs of these that I have been using for 5+ years. I find them very good for tracking, and enjoyable for causal listening. Mixing, however, not so much. I get much better results from my monitors.

11. I LOVE my Sennheiser headphones. They are very flat frequency wise. My buddy has the Audio Technica headphones and they are very similar! Very detailed. And both have the 1/8" with the screw on 1/4". So you can use either in a split second!

12. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    +1

I would avoid trying to dual purpose headphones. Noise canceling phones are going to be useless when it comes to mixing well. Most phones that have "awesome" sound from a consumer point of view will color the sound too much to be useful in a studio application.

Stick with studio headphones for the studio, and leave them there when you leave the studio.

13. Dead Pixel

Dead Pixel

Jan 17, 2012
    Sony MDR-7506 gets me vote.

14. Stev187

Stev187 Peavey MegaBass Club!

Jan 11, 2011
    Toledo, OH
    Agreed. One benefit of noise cancelling cans is they don't need a headphone amp to be properly driven by low signals from iPods and computers. My favorite headphones for many uses, especially practicing bass and mixing stuff, are these:

Alessandro High-End Products: Music Series Headphones

The Alessandro Grado MS-1 are the best cans under $100 in my opinion. And don't do headphone research without checking out the reviews from the folks at HeadRoom:

HeadRoom: Stereo Headphones, Amps & DACs, Wireless, Noise Canceling, Ear Canal, Earbud, Audio Cables & Accessories

They make good stuff, too. The Total BitHead is the best thing I've done for my ears in the past 10 years. Excellent research and information about all kinds of headphones.

Personally, I don't like using headphones too often. I prefer to practice through an amp, and I prefer listening to music through speakers. But we all know that it's necessary (I just joined a new cover band and I am learning several songs a night down in the basement as the family sleeps).

Check out those Grados from Working Dog. They're fantastic.

--Steve

15. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA