1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Headstock change to Rickanbacker 8 string bass question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sneha1965, Apr 27, 2009.

1. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NOVA
    Does anyone have information as to why the headstock design was changed on the 8 string Rickenbacker basses? :confused: The first photo is from an earlier model 4005 with "Potato Head" headstock and the later is from a 4008. Also is there info about the choice of placing the thicker string on the top as opposed to the bottom which IMO would make it easier to pick but maybe not easier to pluck?

headfront. si11.

2. Nomad98

Nomad98

Dec 13, 2005
    Minneapolis
    I have a book on John Entwhistles basses and in there he say's that there were two of the "potatoe head" Ricks made. One he got and the other one Chris Squire received. I saw Yes a LONG time ago and Chris was playing that style Rick. I think they were the original prototypes for the common headstock shape (as my memory serves me).

Phil

3. Looks to me like the top one is shaped to permit clearance of the different-sized tuners; the bottom one is likely just larger overall to acheive the same purpose. IMO, thinner-on-top stringing would pick easier; not sure on plucking- maybe the opposite.

4. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NOVA
    Was there any mention as to why the design was changed? IMO, the potato head is so cool. I'm also curious as to why the larger string was placed above the smaller. Maybe plucking finger style was more popular? :confused:

5. Nomad98

Nomad98

Dec 13, 2005
    Minneapolis
    No! No mention as far as I recall (I am at work and the book is at home).

I do think he talks about the strings being switched around (bass on top...) but I will have to re-read the section.

The book is called "Bass Culture" and it's fantastic if you are interested!

6. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NOVA
    Sounds like a good read.

7. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Idk about the 8 string basses, (much as I'd love to own one), but I do know that Ric 12 string guitars are strung opposite of any other normal 12 string guitar. It's a trademark kinda Ric thing, (to be different). Maybe their basses follow suit? Seems like it would greatly benefit finger style playing, no?

8. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NOVA
    That seems to make the most sense IMO.