Headstock veneer separating?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BennyBen, Aug 5, 2019.

1. BennyBen

BennyBen

Nov 17, 2016
    Poconos, Pa
    Noticed this while tuning my Ibanez. Looks like the front piece of wood is separating.

Has anybody else had this happen? Can I wait to see if it gets worse, or should I get it fixed asap?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
  2. bass40hz

bass40hz Cigar smoker, scotch drinker, American Patriot

Aug 13, 2014
    Sussex County, NJ
    no endorsements yet...Are you listening Spector, DR, GK, Line6?
    I recommend reposting in the Luthier's Corner, those guys might be able to give you the right answer.
    Good luck and Rock on.

Aqualung60, Samatza and BennyBen like this.
  3. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i'd wait and watch. you might be watching for years so bring a good book, or take up tennis. good luck! :thumbsup:

4. BennyBen

BennyBen

Nov 17, 2016
    Poconos, Pa
    Thanks

bass40hz likes this.
  5. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Had a Spector euro do that, it eventually went all the way around.

6. BennyBen

BennyBen

Nov 17, 2016
    Poconos, Pa
    Was it just cosmetic, or did it affect the tuning or playability? If it’s only cosmetic, I might try putting some wood glue in or something to make it less noticeable.

7. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    It's not going to get better. THere's every chance it will get worse. Treat it now.

Put a drop of wood glue (not Ape-glue, real wood glue like Titebond, Wedlbond, carpenter's wood glue)on the separation, rub and press it into the crack using your fingers. Wipe off the excess with a cloth dampened with water. Clamp it closed - a bit of glue should squeeze out. Wipe it off and let everything dry for several hours.

8. BennyBen

BennyBen

Nov 17, 2016
    Poconos, Pa
    That’s what I was thinking. Thanks!

9. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Yes cosmetic. I had to glue and clamp it back down

jamro217 likes this.
  10. I had this on my Cort Jeff Berlin Rithimic model. Just a corner of the veneer on the lower tip of the headstock started to separate. I had it glued and clamped by a technician for no charge whilst my bass was in for setup.

11. nilorius

nilorius Inactive

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    I'v got Ibanez GWB1005 - no tuning problems.

12. Follow Turnarounds advice. Be careful to have something like pieces of a tongue depressor etc. Between the clamp and the headstock with a few layers of painters tape to protect the finish. You don’t need 400 pounds of pressure either for this job.

jamro217 and pcake like this.
  13. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    Funny, I literally just did that, exactly that way, on a dresser that my daughter is restoring. I know it’s not a bass, but i can vouch for the procedure. (I used tire-bond). I just in-clamped it this morning. Lamentation is back to how it should be. BTW, in my case, there was post-glue sanding involved. I could have been more careful while glueing. You definitely will need to be.

14. Ostie

Ostie

Aug 1, 2018
    Mid MI
    Just follow Turnarounds advice. Damp cloth will remove the glue when wet. After it dries it’s much harder to remove.

15. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Use a toothpick or razor to tuck the glue in as deep as you can.

jamro217 likes this.
  16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021