1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hearing Loss and Ear Plugs

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Boplicity, Jul 28, 2000.

Tags:
  1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Bump!

Will C.:cool:

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    The only non-custom plugs I found with a good sound and high protection are Hearos (30dB cut) http://www.hearos.com
    I found you need some time to adjust to wearing them - but now they feel so comfortable that I can actually wear them all day long - and I alway wear them at rehearsal, gigs, at concerts and in loud clubs/discos.
    But I agree, the best solution are custom-made plugs, if you can afford them!

3. Earplugs is mainly a habit thing, you gotta get used to them. I have tinnitus and I always wear plugs at rehearsal, live, at loud pubs and at concerts. I cannot stress enough how important it is to protect ones hearing, because tinnitus is something I dont wish my worst enemy to have. It is very annoying and psychologically painful sometimes. Oh well enough of myself feeling sorry for myself.. If you dont wear plugs you will regret it one day, if you think it looks uncool, well how cool is it not to hear ones children talk when you are becoming a parent. Not so cool. Oh well hope I made my point clear. Wear plugs! It is strange not everyone wear plugs when they are playing loud.. well its really their choice. But I have seen a slight change in plug use nowadays, more and more ppl use it at concerts and discos and such. Great!

Hear ya!

4. jondiener

jondiener In the corner, staring at phone during break. Gold Supporting Member

First of all: this is a great thread! Another good example of how valuable these forums can be.

Second: I just read something on tinnitus the other day and was surprised to find that, among other things, diet and lifestyle can greatly increase your chances of getting it. Some of the things to avoid: sodium, caffiene, alcohol, tobacco. Hhhhmmmm ..... musicians AVOIDING these? Seems ironic, doesn't it?

I suppose that most things, taken in moderation, are less damaging, but the cumulative effect is what does it.

So, take care of yourselves (especially hearing), because what kind of musicians would we be without hearing?

5. Well I think they meant that those things, alcohol, caffein and such may make the symptoms of it worse. I can agree to that, but I have a hard time believing that drinking coffe increases the risk off tinnitus. The lifestyle is more interesting, if one often go to loud concerts in that case the lifestyle might be a problem if not wearing plugs.. but do they mean that for instance a cricket player would have an increased risk off tinnitus.. oh well enough on that.
    But drinking alcohol might increase the risk of hearing damage since one perhaps doesnt care if the music is louder than what is healthy ;) But that is a side effect erhhmm.. well take care and dont forget to wear plugs next time you have a cup of coffee :)

Kokoman likes this.
  6. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    I think all new members should read this post before being granted membership. As a physician, i cant stress the importance of hearing protection enough. Especially for the younger players, start NOW!!!! For some, its too late for you only have your hearing once. When its gone GAME OVER!!!!

TalHaz, SeamzKing and collins81 like this.
  7. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    My first post on this thread included the sentiment that I was sorry about Jason's condition and I was. However by a freak of coincidence I suffered from tinnitus and complete deafness in just my left ear from Thursday until this evening. My experience has made me understand that I didn't. I played yesterday and its like playing in a tunnel. I havent slept well for 4 nights because of a constant high pitched whine with white noise mixed in.
    It was not caused by excess db's but by.... well I wont elaborate before teatime.

If you play loud and your ears ring wear plugs because the alternative is well it drives you nuts.

Jason I am truly sorry about your condition and I know partly what you are going through

8. jondiener

jondiener In the corner, staring at phone during break. Gold Supporting Member

You're exactly right! I never meant to imply that those things can actually cause tinnitus, although reading it now, that's what it sounds like. What I meant was: those things can aggrevate the symptoms.

What's the matter, you can't read my mind? ;-)

9. Well I tried to read your mind, but I couldnt understand a thing about what I read ;) Alcohol, I do know, can make the syptoms worse.. especially when you try to go to sleep with a power drill inside your head :)

Take it from all of us that suffer from tinnitus, wear plugs for your own sake. That goes for all of you out there.

10. Is it me or is everyone getting old?! lol :D

We have that problem of Volume, we have 4 hr band practices once a fortnight and i am starting to get the ringin. I tried plugs but they fall out with all the jumping around and head banging. any suggestions and don't say "wear ear muffs!" lolol

Merls

11. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Real simple here, see your doctor or a professional audiologist to be fitted with them. An ENT (ear, nose and throat) physician helped me with mine.

12. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    It's you, Merls.:D

Make everyone lower their volume:rolleyes:

13. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Headphones at high volume are really bad for you. Sound intensity decreases by the square of the distance, so if you are twice as far from the source the intensity becomes one quarter. With headphones the distance is minimal, so the sound intensity does not decrease very much. So you should be especially careful when listening to music through headphones.

I have some butt ugly bright orange HEAROS earplugs, and actually use them. Whenever I went to a practice studio it would be pretty tight quarters with a Marshall half stack, a Roland JC 160, myself, and an insanely loud drummer. So I sacrificed a little "coolness" for my hearing.

14. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    BTW - Hearos also come in 'human skin' color...

15. lower their volume. sure sure :rolleyes: Heavy Metal below the 100Db level.

16. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

The heavy metal band I damaged my hearing playing for rehearsed at full volume in close quarters. My appeals to them to turn down a tad fell on "deaf" ears literally and figuratively. It seems that the "loud" part of that music is what makes the vibe. If you turn down for rehearsals you lose the vibe, the aggression, the spirit of the music. It is especially hard to get a heavy metal drummer to turn down the volume. If he is pounding away hard, you HAVE to turn up or you can't be heard above him.

I did wear Hearos and looked like a dork for it. My image was further damaged as I was older than the parents of everyone in the band! The Hearos helped only marginally. They may not have saved me from the constant high pitched ring I now hear day and night, but they did make it possible to rehearse two and three hours at a time without suffering severe migraine headaches.

Oddly enough, for me, the most painful sound I had to endure was not the screeming distorted and tuned down guitars, it was the snare drum. Honestly at times, I thought my head would split, our drummer banged that snare so hard and loud and I always stood near him.

I wish I had spent money on custom ear plugs instead of some of the fancy effects pedals I bought, but never used because our lead guitarist wanted all the special effects for himself.

Jason Oldsted

17. Hey Mr Oldstead, :D
    I fully agree with you. Its not always the guitars but the meathead of a drummer. Especially with a tight sharp snare. How much does it cost for custom made plugs? If I can't afford them and have to go for manufactured ones what should i look for. Bear in mind I live in Ozzie land (Australia) so a general description would prob be best.

Cheers.
    Merls

18. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Bump!

Back by popular demand.

19. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    I just wish to join the croud, emphasising the importance of this topic. You may get tinnitus different ways, but once got it you wish you'd protected yourself.

Moderators and "paul(administrator)": I fell this topic is of such importance, that a summary ought to be posted permanently. Right below "Posting rules...", with an Alert ikon.

Man, this tweet i've got (a clear A''') keeps me awake! It's in the way for just any living - and the audiologists call it "mild"! :confused: :(

**rule**:
    PLUG IN = THE (custom) PLUGS in your ears, THEN the lead to the amp.

(And this time I'm right. ;) )

[Edited by Suburban on 01-30-2001 at 02:10 AM]