1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hearing Loss and Ear Plugs

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Boplicity, Jul 28, 2000.

Tags:
  1. pactribe

pactribe

Aug 7, 2015
    Someone else in this thread also mentioned the possibility of hearing damage through bone conduction.

Although 40 Decibels less impactful than sound through the eardrum, it can still mean that 80 Decibels enter the hearing system despite the earplugs, during a loud concert.

I got tinnitus from a gig while wearing 20 DB earplugs, so I have some experience on the matter.

ialma and woodyng like this.
  2. I wear earplugs when I play now (hearos). I don't have any hearing loss but I have a different issue that has plagued me for a long time and I didn't know what it was. For years I was having problems with nausea, throwing up and vertigo. I had been to all kinds of doctors and had all kinds of testing. Even had my gallbladder removed when they thought it was the problem. It needed to be removed and it helped a bit, but not completely. I was even diagnosed with vestibular neuronitis which is a viral infection to the nerve in the inner ear. So after several years goes by I go back to the audiologist who diagnosed the neuronitis for a hearing test. Hearing was good a slight bit of tinnitus, but when I told her that when the drummer at my church was doing sound check to my right banging on the kick drum my world started spinning and I almost lost my balance, the final piece of the puzzle came into play. She did some tests and determined I had a condition known as Tulio syndrome which basically means sound induced vertigo. Any noise can set it off. I work in manufacturing and the place can get a bit loud and I will find myself lightheaded and nauseas.. I have to dissolve a zofran under my tongue to take away the nausea. I didn't read this thread and I don't know if it was mentioned before, but if not and you have problems with vertigo and you can't figure out why, maybe a trip to the audiologist is in order. Ok I'm done!

PsyDocHill likes this.
  3. I have it, it's making me feel suicidal.
    All day and all night I hear ringing, other days it sounds like the room is full of crickets.

Years ago I played in a punk rock band (as a drummer) and we used to blast for fun.
    I wore plugs but one fell out and screwed up my right ear. Before that, I had a 5th grade teacher who had mental issues and dragged me down the hallway by my right ear which did some nerve damage. In the late 90's a friend took me to this club to see Deadguy and the sound was painfully loud. The next night I was the ER with a swollen ear canal. Now when I hear loud transient things like rim shots, screaming kids, or barking dogs, it feels like a M-90 blowing up next to my head or electroshock. Acoustinosis comes with Tinnitus when you hear loud things louder than normal.

Tinnitus: once heard, you'll always hear it.

4. I'm worried that you're feeling suicidal. Please don't give up. I posted a lot on this thread a while back. Know that you're not alone. I'm a combat vet & formerly suffered from Young Man Invincibility Syndrome aka Hope I Die Before I Get Old Syndrome. I'm glad I didn't, though I've got my nasty T-flareup days that trigger flashbacks I can do without.

5. Thanks Bro.
    It got so bad that I quit my job since the little kiddies there think it's funny when they start tossing wooden pallets onto the floor, when they slam onto the floor, I jump in the air. They think it's funny so they kept doing it. Plus playing with a drummer at church who sucks bad and the only dynamics he knows are loud and louder doesn't help matters either.

Mr.Ace and PsyDocHill like this.
  6. Hyperacusis?

waterstradt likes this.
  7. PsyDocHill likes this.
  8. I just read through this thread and, as a safety professional, i will say, like others here, please wear hearing protection. I have had tinnitus in both ears since I was 16 due to TMJ disorder. I wear ear plugs constantly for gigs and when I am at a concert.

I am looking into these: Custom In Ear Monitors | Insta-Mold Products Inc.

They are a relatively local company to me.

9. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2010
    Columbia, Mo
    -50 db ear plugs?
    Pretty sure -33 db is the maximum available.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
  10. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    I recently lost a single Hearos Hi-Fi earplug and replaced the set with Earpeace HD earplugs. I've had and used the Hearos for years and always sung their praises. They're inexpensive, comfortable, and do the job: they attenuate high sound levels without making it sound like someone threw five moving blankets over your head. In addition, to the Hearos, I have a pair of Health Enterprises ACU-LIFE earplugs that I always found uncomfortable and never worked for my ear canals.

I've used the Earpeace HDs a couple of times now and can say that they're great! $18 well spent! Like the Hearos, they're relatively inexpensive, comfortable, and do the job: unlike foam earplugs, they attenuate high sound levels without making it sound like someone threw five moving blankets over your head. I can't say they do the job any better than the Hearos but they do have the edge for the following reasons:
    1. They come with three earplugs and filter sets. Genius! No other earplugs I know of include three. If my old Hearos had three, I'd could still use them.
    2. They come with two filter sets, a -11dB medium protection set and a -14dB high protection set. This allows you to pick the most suitable set for your particular use.
    3. They are lower profile than the Hearos and the similar Entymotics. They lack the rigid plastic stems that stick way out of your ears and come in three different skin tones rather than the more conspicuous colors of white or blue.
    4. They come with a pimp aluminum container. All hi-fi earplugs come with containers but the the Earpeace one is next level with a clip to attach to your keys. I attached mine to my keys the first time I used them and being so unobtrusive, it's stayed there ever since. They even have a smaller compartment on the end to store the extra filters. Very well thought out!
    IMG_20160919_112351.
    Hearos Hi-Fi (L) and EarPeace HD (R)

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
    Tom Bomb, GregC, nixdad and 2 others like this.
  11. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    ...so the small, lower compartment liberated itself and I'm now without the second set of filters.

:eyebrow:

I had been thinking about adding some thread locker to prevent such an occurrence but never got around to it. If you do buy some Earpeace plugs, which I still recommend, do yourself a favor and add a drop of thread locker.

RoadRanger likes this.
  12. could you say anything about how they sound compared to the Hearos?

13. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    I just did a back-to-back test. Both the red filters and tan filters on Earpeace HD are a scootch brighter and sound a bit more "open" than the Hearos High Fidelty. Not by much, but definitely discernible.

revroy likes this.
  14. karl_em_all

karl_em_all

Jul 11, 2013
    Dimension X
    I am exactly where you are. I could have written your entire post myself. I had to go to may band and tell them that I have to stop playing music because after trying all kinds of earplugs and buying the best of the best my ears just can't take it anymore. It was either turn down or they would have to find a new bass player. Happy to say that the lads stepped up for me. The guitar players downsized and turned down and the drummer is using blast sticks. Funny thing is that we actually sound better now. The damage is definitely done though.

15. grrg63

grrg63

Dec 14, 2005
    Pittsburgh
    I had terrible experience with Earpeace HD earplugs. I found them to be impractical (too small, wouldnt stay in place), and ineffective, causing furthur damage (intensified tinnitus). That's from using them once at practice.
    Every expensive (compared to foam plugs) ear plug Ive tried has been a waste of money. Heavy foam plugs might not be the greatest sonically (hearing the full spectrum of your tone), but IME they offer the most effective protection.

16. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Foam plugs are actually advertised as offering more protection. For instance Hearos Xtreme foam plugs are rated for 33 dB attenuation while Earpeace HDs are rated at 11 or 14 dB depending on which filters you use. It's important to pick the right tools for the job.

17. ComesATime

ComesATime

Dec 12, 2012
    I'm a big fan of Skull Screws. I've been using them for about 7 years now in multiple bands and projects, some louder than others. 25 NRR, comfortable, and I can still hear what's going on.

I was at an ENT about 2 months ago and my hearing was about that of a 16 year old (I'm 25).

They're on Amazon per pair or you can get them in bulk for $50 (120 pairs).

SunnBass likes this.
  18. Obese Chess

Obese Chess I'm Your New Dad Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Anyone tried those Isolate aluminum plugs? Reviews seem REALLY mixed, as is often the case with kickstarted stuff.

19. fishstix

fishstix

Feb 28, 2006
    Wisconsin
    I just had my ears scanned with a laser 3D modeler to make some custom UE earplugs. This was a super cool process and free to boot. Plus they now have my scan on file if I choose to order other replacements. I should have them next week and will report back but I've been impressed with the process so far.

Obese Chess likes this.