1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hearing Loss and Ear Plugs

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Boplicity, Jul 28, 2000.

Tags:
  1. ComesATime

ComesATime

Dec 12, 2012
    I'm a big fan of Skull Screws. I've been using them for about 7 years now in multiple bands and projects, some louder than others. 25 NRR, comfortable, and I can still hear what's going on.

I was at an ENT about 2 months ago and my hearing was about that of a 16 year old (I'm 25).

They're on Amazon per pair or you can get them in bulk for $50 (120 pairs).

SunnBass likes this.
  2. Obese Chess

Obese Chess I'm Your New Dad Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Anyone tried those Isolate aluminum plugs? Reviews seem REALLY mixed, as is often the case with kickstarted stuff.

3. fishstix

fishstix

Feb 28, 2006
    Wisconsin
    I just had my ears scanned with a laser 3D modeler to make some custom UE earplugs. This was a super cool process and free to boot. Plus they now have my scan on file if I choose to order other replacements. I should have them next week and will report back but I've been impressed with the process so far.

Obese Chess likes this.
  4. FingerDub

FingerDub SUSPENDED

Jan 8, 2016
    Ok, I finally joined the party. I got the Entymotic plugs rated at 20db, and so far, so good. I used them at practice last week and am very surprised at how well they actually work. Comfortable too.

RoadRanger likes this.
  5. I have played part time for years in medium volume bands. I have tinnitus.

I'm about to turn 60, so it's an accumulation of music, power tools and marital arguments. Nevertheless, protection is extremely important.

Artman and ialma like this.
  6. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    ERIC31 and BlacksHole like this.
  7. Over a year ago I agreed to get my hearing tested

E NT diagnosed tumor on auditory nerve
    Not terminal and cure meant deafness in that ear
    2nd opinion from hearing aid spealist aid have severly congested eustacian tubes
    Ill schedule ENT again and keep TB posted

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  8. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    Good luck

zon6c-f likes this.
  9. Appt. with E N T scheduled
    May 8

Lots of nose blowing opened tubes.

Still going to seek advice from ENT

I'll post again afterward

10. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    I have in different db ratings. This highest the closed 30db is for leaf blowing or detonating ordinance if you play hurt locker on the weekends. :) I use the cable between saves from losing. No discomfort since they are made for your ears. Foam distorts the music sound enough for me to not want to use. Frequencies are missing, timing can sound off. I wear when I go to concerts or clubs too. Often the volume in the audience sound is way louder than my peeps are making on stage.

Last edited: May 10, 2017
    FingerDub likes this.
  11. sears

sears Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2005
    ec, md
    I have been using earasers which have a NRR of 5. Will going up to a NRR 7 Westone provide enough more protection that it's worth it? I have the ety which are a bit much at 13.

12. As promised back in April

I visited ENT as I had suffered severe congestion in my ears

As before he said probable tumor

I took CT and MRI$$$$$

Result showed no tumor present

Some anatomical anomalies in my sinuses treatable with surgery and possibly tubes in ears

I carried burden of tumor for over 2 years Glad it's behind me

Still have tinnitus in both ears due to over exposure and age

Please protect your hearing

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    Artman likes this.
  13. Fun Size Nick

Fun Size Nick

Feb 21, 2006
    Hong Kong
    Hi all, I've been using Etymotic ER20 universal plugs for 15 years or so but am interested in some earplugs with less attenuation for playing lower volume jazz rather than going completely plug-less like I have been in those situations. I will probably spring for custom plugs with a -9dB filter within the next little while but wanted to know if there are any good universal plugs with similar attenuation that would do in the meantime? Thanks!

14. D Bopp

D Bopp Supporting Member

May 26, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    I use the Westone custom plugs, and switch back and forth between the 15 and 25 db filters. There is a 10db filter also available that may work for you. I've been happy with the Westones and have been using them since around 2000. Had to get new molds a few years ago since my ear canal changed shape a little over time.

15. Fun Size Nick

Fun Size Nick

Feb 21, 2006
    Hong Kong
    Glad to hear it! I will look into those in future. At the moment I'm asking about universal (i.e. non-custom) plugs though.

16. cheapimitation

cheapimitation

Mar 23, 2007
    I've been interested in the same thing, and have been experimenting with cutting a foam plug in half lengthwise, and also using Etymotic tri-flange ear tips with a piece of wooden match stick inserted into the hole. Both give reduced attenuation in comparison to non-altered ear plugs (I also use the ER-20 in louder situations).

17. Fun Size Nick

Fun Size Nick

Feb 21, 2006
    Hong Kong
    Didn't your mum ever warn you about putting matchsticks in your ears?? :roflmao:

18. basicdrummer

basicdrummer

Mar 13, 2014
    Well, custom Musician's hearing protectors as mentioned are the only way to go to get quality sound and a 25 db cut in over-all volume. When your play at 120 or more on stage, you can lose 25db and still "feel" it and have more than enough to still do damage (over time). So unless you are into playing some jazz, you better watch it. The worst part, is that when you get old, you will not be able to listen to loud music because it will cause a lot of pain and irritation because of the damage. I have read that low frequencies actually can cause more damage that high freqs. because the fine hairs in the ear ALL get damaged with low end, whereas the high Fz's do kill the smaller hairs only and leave the larger ones alone. Cotton and bees wax - old school. The sailors on the USS Constitution (old ironsides) back in the 1700's 1800's would used this method and use their classy sailor ties to keep the cotton and wax plugging up their ears. Dispite this, most would lose much or all of their hearing within like 6 weeks of being on that ship. Can you imagine? Cannons firing all the time at well over 150 - 160 db! Plugs not cool? Neither is saying "what?" all the time or a hearing aid that needs the batteries changed all the time. Not cool at all.

19. I can't remember if this was posted or not. I have a pair of their molded ear plugs for work (local safety coference and they make them while you wait).
    Their monitors are pricey, but I believe they would be worth it...

Custom In Ear Monitors | Insta-Mold Products Inc.

20. nitrobrother

nitrobrother Gold Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2015
    Scottsdale, AZ
    So I recently went in to my audiologist (SEVERE loss, especially in low frequencies, in both ears :( - getting hearing aids) to talk about getting some Westone's and she asked a curious question: Did I want her to submit the order to Westone or would I want to submit it directly myself (she'd do the molds either way). She didn't indicate that there was any significant cost difference either way. What did you all who have Westone's do?