1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hearos High Fidelity ear filters

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Mike151, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Mike151

Mike151

Dec 22, 2008
    Sherman Texas
    Anyone use these?
    http://hearos.com/earplugs/products-00211.html
    I tried out the Hearos Rock N Roll ear plugs last night and was pleased. I'm wanting to try out the High Fidelity ones but one thing makes me hesitate. When looking at the product picture, it looks like it has tubes extending out. Not sure I want to have tubes sticking out of my head when playing live. Any feedback would be appreciated.

2. Don't worry, we won't pull your Man Card or dis your "look" :rolleyes: If you want to protect your hearing, wear 'em! :ninja: Pretend you are Frankenstein :ninja:

Russ

3. 3506string

3506string

Nov 18, 2004
    Lawton, OK
    I use these. They aren't as noticeable as you might think. They did take some getting used to. The first couple of times I used them I took them out because it felt like I could hear but now I am used to them.

4. Mike151

Mike151

Dec 22, 2008
    Sherman Texas
    Now that's funny!

5. Bjornar

Bjornar

Oct 12, 2005
    Oslo, Norway
    I have tried lots of different earplugs like these, but were never satisfied with any off the shelf products. So finally I had a pair specially molded to my ears - and wow what a difference! Not only are they extremely comfortable - I forget about them after a few minutes - but the sound is so much better, very balanced, like a volume control with all articulation over the whole spectrum intact. You get plugs like these at the places where they make hearing aid products:

http://www.gnresound.no/vaare_produkter/propper.htm

6. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    The tubes do stick out a bit, but they are clear and not overly visible. At any rate, they work great. 1,000,000,000,000,000 times better than old school foam plugs. They don't attenuate as much volume as foam and are surprisingly flat. Perfect for playing.

7. Sunn

Sunn

Nov 9, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Our band used them for the first time at rehearsal last week.
    We have never been so tight and happy with our set than at that time.
    Voices are a little hard to hear un-amplified, but overall a VERY good investment
    and we can hear everything at a proper level! Our singer used them for a year, and now with the rest
    of us doing it, it is very cool.

8. Thank You! :D Seriously, the Hearos are a good thing! They do take some gettin' used to, but you won't regret it! :bassist:

Russ

9. markkoelsch

markkoelsch

Sep 6, 2008
    I have heard good things about these plugs. If I were in a band I would probably end up with a pair of them.

I also have a friend who has these, and he swaers by them:
    http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/erme.aspx

The other option is to go to in ear monitor systesm for the whole band. It is more expensive, but works pretty well for most once they get used to it. Completely custom monitor mixes at the exact volume you want. The one thing a couple friends did lie was to mic the crowd and put it into the monitor mix otherwise they could never hear them.

10. mrufino1

mrufino1 Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2005
    Nutley, NJ
    I have the etymotic plugs, and they sound fantastic. The only thing I don't like about them is that they are soft silicon, which makes them hard to put in. I had acrylic earplugs before (or something that was not as soft as the silicon- a model called Rock Stars II) that were much easier to put in, but once in the etymotics work great. I would highly highly highly recommend that anyone who plays amplified music get a pair of custom fit plugs. Expensive, sort of, but a great investment. And it really does help you hear better on stage too, cuts out all of the sound that "bounces" around and makes everything much more focused.

11. Mike151

Mike151

Dec 22, 2008
    Sherman Texas
    I emailed the makers of the Hearos with a question regarding the comparison of their Rock N Roll Vs. the High fidelity ones and here is there response. I also ordered a pair.

12. i have them. i couldent recommend them more, theyre fantastic.

13. derekd

derekd

Feb 16, 2009
    KC
    I have been wearing the Hearos HiFis for years now. Short of the expensive custom made to fit your ears, best I have used.

14. thudstaff23

thudstaff23

Mar 10, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    I am back and forth on this very much right now. I actually have an appointment made with an audiologist next week to get custom molds made for the real deal. The Hearos look good too, but I can tell they wouldn't be as comfortable. I have that exact type of earbud as an option for more Shure headphones I use with my ipod, and I can tell you I don't care for that piece much. I think I'm going to go through with the custom ones.

I'm at the point of mild Tinnitus right now (if there is such a thing as mild), from years of abuse. Like a lot of you, I am absolutely addicted to the loud noise, but it's time for a change. I've used Sonic 2's for a number of years, but they aren't "cutting it" any more.

15. Mike151

Mike151

Dec 22, 2008
    Sherman Texas
    I've been using these for about a month now for both practice and gigs.
    I like them alot as they don't block everything out. They just reduce the volume level. Great for hearing yourself better when singing and most excellent when standing close to the cymbals.