Heavy Amp Work Outs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by orskard, Jun 12, 2005.

1. orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Anyone on here do any special work outs to keep in shape for lifting amps? I was just wonder because my 2x10 is 50lbs and my 2x12 neo when ever i get it, will be around 60. Im just wonder if anyone has anything special they do to make sure its easy to lift these things.
  2. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Here's my workout

step 1: go to my local Lowe's / Home Depot

step 2: buy the cheapest dolly they have, usually about $15

step 3: laugh at all the other band members when they "carry" their equipment in as I roll onto stage
  3. I get my workout at my job when i roll 1000 lb reels of wire around the shop.

In all honesty the best thing to do it make it as easy as possible with a handtruck or dolly.
  4. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Those are relatively light cabs, so you're off to a good start. If there's one thing that will help you with your lifting it's TECHNIQUE. Lifting with the legs and so forth. I'm not fit to advise in this area, but find someone who will show you proper lifting technique and you'll be ok.
  5. Lift with your legs. My back is cooked. Please lift with your legs- so work on squats, and keeping your back straight- never twist your trunk under load. Try to keep the load centered around waist level.
  6. 8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    step 1: Pick up phone
    step 2: Call roadie

But seriously, I ride a bike to strengthen my legs. I also suggest you include some exercises for your back in a regular workout routine. Regular excercise will help with your stage performance too. Hand truck & dollies were no help for me on my last tour of Japan... LOTS of stairs involved!

My 410 cab is 91 lbs, my 15 cab is 72 lbs & my SVT head is almost 100 lbs... I feel your pain.
  7. I got rid of all my 118's my 410, and my 610, I ordered a 112. I'm hoping it's a viable solution.
  8. I almost forgot the most important part-

Think before you lift. If you think you need help- even just a fleeting thought- get help.
  9. just do some deadlifts, squats, and shrugs.
  10. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    I ditched the heavy 4-10" cabs and just got my Bergantino 2-10" and 1-12" cabs. This would have worked if my new amp were not Road Ready 6 space rack with a QSC RMX1450, Ashdown preamp, Furman power conditioner, and Korg tuner!!!! When anyone says what idiot would spend premium $$$$ on lightweight cabs only to power it with a super heavy rack setup, please forward them to me!!!!!!!! :rollno: