1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Heavy gauge back to lighter gauge for practice (?)

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Bruiser Stone, Dec 16, 2019.

1. Bruiser Stone

Bruiser Stone Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2017
    Tennessee
    I briefly put on (and intend to keep handy) a set of Fender tapewounds on my P bass with a gauge of 58-110. Granted, tapes are not as stiff as flats, but moving back down to a 40-100 set of Rotos rounds, it feels almost effortless playing fast runs and moving around the frets.

Does anyone use a heavy set of strings for practice to improve performance on a lighter gauged set? Any pros/cons? I’m stunned at least by the short term results, but I don’t want to inadvertently develop a bad habit.

Sidenote: when moving from flats to rounds, I haven’t had the same results. Something about the tapes, for lack of a better term, feels confidence building. My fretting feels secure, like I’m focusing less on hitting the right spot and
    more on coaxing the tone I desire from the string. The tapes, as thick as they are, feel very responsive. They are in contention with my favorite flats (TI, LaBella 43-104, GHS 45-95).

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
  2. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 14, 2021