1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

heavy mass bridges produces more treble?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by maturanesa, Sep 28, 2010.

1. I was reading some info on the web about bridges and theres a constant fact on there, "heavy mass bridges improve the high frequencies, and light/thin bridges are mellower".
    Im just thinking about get a badass for a fender. But with neo pickups they are already brigth and clear a lot, also jazz basses are not so fat, so i dont any more treble than now, even i want a more dark/fat sound.
    But, the bridge fact is real???

2. it all depends... but the end results are going to be noticed only when you play alone... with a band it really wont matter!!! the thing that will matter is if a bridge is solid and adjustable...

but if you want to have a difference even when you play alone then i say the material changes character... the more the bridge is massive the less vibrations are going to be absorbed by the body... i personally just hate the springs in bridges all the rest if its adjustable and solid is of no importance!!!

3. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    Bridges like the Badass advertise more "punch & sustain".
    I have found this to be true.
    I replaced the stock Fender bridge on my Jazz with a BAII.
    The differance was apparent to me, especially on recordings.

4. SMILEYSIXX

SMILEYSIXX

Dec 29, 2009
    I think the difference is like asking the difference between an alder or ash body. Yeah, there's a difference and trained ears will hear it, but to 99% of people it means next to nothing.

5. There is a very slight improvement in treble delivery with a heavy bridge- very slight. More obvious when added to a lightweight bass. The idea is that a heavy bridge can't vibrate quickly enough to damp high frequencies, or pass them to the body. So they remain in the string, to be picked up by the pickup. Low frequencies aren't affected, in theory.

6. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    I'm not fully onboard with that claim and wont be until I see an SPL. I suspect the difference in tone is moot.

7. Agree with these 100%. Don’t bother with it. Any difference in tone will be negligible to - for all practical purposes – absent.

8. Demon_Hunter

Demon_Hunter

Jun 8, 2008
    Just get the one that looks the coolest!!! :D :bag:

9. the tonal properties inherent in bridges are typically so minute they are practically negligible. simplicity and function are the important considerations when it comes to bridges. i mean there are guys out there that will say you need a certain type of pickguard screw or thumbrest in order to get the best tone. you gotta draw the line somewhere.

10. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Yep. I can see how sustain is improved to a small degree, but really, the appeal comes in with:

1) Guarantee that your bridge is one sturdy piece of equipment.
    2) That it's adjustable and you can easily fine tune the action & adjustment (string spacing too, depending on the bridge).
    3) Added weight to the body for better balance.
    4) Aesthetics.

11. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    I've seen a serious difference on one bass out of the 4 I've put BA's on. I don't know if it matters, but it was also a very lightweight bass compared to the others.

12. It's admittedly small. I can't find it, but awhile back somebody did an A/B test with lightweight vs. heavy bridges, on one bass- same strings etc., and made recordings. The poll clearly showed that most participants were able to identify which recordings were which. It was definitely audible, but subtle.

Yes it does. See post #5.

13. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    The only high mass bridge Ive used that caused increase in treble was baddassII. To the point of annoying treble zingyness. Replaced it with better high mass bridge. Thin bent metal ones like trad fender give a weak thin sound to me. Not so much a treble boost to the sound, more a cut and weakness to bass freq's.

14. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder

Nov 1, 2009
    Changing from light to heavy or vice versa an a light, well dried, superbly resonant peice of wood will make a significant difference. Changing bridges on a brick makes no difference.