1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hello from NJ... looking to learn the upright bass..

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by MarkBando, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Hello, I stumbled across this group just surfing the web looking at upright basses.. I have never played the bass but want to learn.. I love listening to and playing bluegrass and old time music. I am an intermediate guitar player I guess and like to flat pick..
    The bass has been intriguing me for awhile now and I’d like to try my hand at it.. of course, I’m going to need a bass, and that’s what’s led me to this group.. I’m just beginning to look at upright basses and have no idea what I should get... I’m trying to keep this as low budget as possible and still get an instrument that is not going to need a lot of repairs or be hard to play..
    I’ll probably be taking it to outdoor festivals and it will get exposed to the elements at times.. I’ve heard the older Kay models are popular in the bluegrass world but I really don’t know anything... what size?
    3/4 full size? Anyway... just wanted to introduce myself and I’m sure there is lots of good info on the site I’ll be able to search out... looks like a great resource you have here!

2. The bluegrass/old time world is definitely where most fans of Kay basses gather. This was true when they were new as well; all plywood, they were preferred for their reliability in adverse conditions as well as their lower prices. Kay made only two sizes, standard 3/4 and student-sized 1/4.

Current products made by Englehardt-Link are built on Kay jigs, generally equivalent physically, and available for less money.

3. Thank you.. I didn’t know that those were the only sizes made by Kay..I’ve seen the 3/4 size listed for sale but never saw anything listed as full size or 4/4... was wondering about that..

4. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Just stopping in to say welcome from a fellow New Jerseyan!

Best of luck on your bass journey!

5. Thanks!