1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hello from NY

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by restomod, Jan 7, 2020.

1. Hello there, thanks for allowing me to join the forum. I live in Upstate NY, in the Finger Lakes region. I am currently taking lessons and learning the basics. I am absorbing everything I can in reading as many old threads as I can. I have the very basics, a Silvertone Bass and a non-bass guitar amp that was given to me. I'm working on taking all the info in on gear and brands from the forum to upgrade one thing at a time. It's a big scary new world out there for learning about what to buy and don't buy. I hope I can be a productive member here for a long time to come.

2. Welcome! Where exactly in the FLX? I’m in Ithaca!

restomod likes this.
  3. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Welcome to the nuthouse. We're here to help, and hopefully entertain.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
    restomod likes this.
  4. Hey Alan, I'm directly north of you on the same lake! Seneca Falls.

alanloomis1980 likes this.
  5. Howdy from Texas, good to have you here.

restomod likes this.
  6. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    Howdy from Spencerport, NY.

restomod likes this.
  7. Well, Howdy neighbor! :D We play White Springs Winery in Geneva from time to time, and quite a few in the Trumansburg and Watkins Glen areas. I’ve been here about 2 years, beautiful area and a nice place to live.

Good call on the lessons. Best bet to start off on the right foot.

If you wanna try out amps and basses, check out House of Guitars in Rochester (Irondequoit.) Huge selection and nice folks. And let me know if you find a good local shop in Syracuse! ;)

8. Hello from The Netherlands! Welcome to the Boisterous Bunch.

restomod likes this.
  9. Thanks for the tip in Roch, hard to know where to go really without local knowledge so that helps. Trying to find time to get there, kids are in the heart of soccer and hockey so I see little off time daylight. I am starting from basically not knowing a thing, got the bass and amp given to me and they sat for years. I decided this was the year to figure it out. I'm slow and most of the time have no idea what I'm doing but the lessons are great and I'm learning the fundamentals, like actually holding the bass right lol.

Through a bit of FB stalking I see the band you are in and that's pretty cool (at least I think it's the right one), I will like the page and make sure to keep an eye out so we can meet up sometime.

I think there a couple shops in Ithaca? Are any of them worth visiting if I am already down that way?

alanloomis1980 likes this.
  10. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Welcome. You're a victim of coicumstance!!

450?cb=20090630001743.jpg

11. There’s a Guitar Center in Syracuse, IDK if that’s closer/easier to get to. Kinda a roll of the dice as far as knowledgeable staff, but they have a generous return policy and decent inventory so it’s a nice place to try out gear.

Ithaca guitar works is a small family run shop, with a super nice staff. They only stock new Fender basses and amps, plus whatever used gear passes through; so it’s a small bass inventory. Probably not worth a special trip, but if your in town anyway....

My bands are Richman and the Poorboys (rock/blues) and Grassanova (bluegrass/country.) :)

restomod likes this.