1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hell's Kitchen, Kitchen Nightmares.. etc (Gordon Ramsay)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Rumbledore, Aug 25, 2018.

1. Rumbledore

Rumbledore Banned

Jun 2, 2018
    peninsula
    I've been binge-watching Gordon Ramsey shows. Actually have been enjoying them/him for several years. In the last couple days though, I've been glued to seasons/episodes of Hell's Kitchen in particular. This practice has been getting in the way of my sleep, having me up until 3am and even later :nailbiting::wideyed::help:

OldDog52 and Pbassmanca like this.
  2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    He is an arrogant unwatchable
    :poop:
    :rage:
    In my opinion...

-Asdfgh- and the_home like this.
  3. nick_s

nick_s

Aug 25, 2018
    West Midlands
    Nothing to declare
    Got to love GR. He has the skills to back up the arrogance.

OldDog52 and Pbassmanca like this.
  4. Rumbledore

Rumbledore Banned

Jun 2, 2018
    peninsula
    Try saying that about Jaco in a Jaco thread. Or about Geddy in a Geddy thread.

I don't understand your reason for posting that.

Came her to say I enjoy it. The oh-so supportive downer and your general dark-cloud aura added to the thread right from the start is worrying. taken your meds for the day yet?

5. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    You enjoy it, I don't. It's called a discussion. If everyone here agreed on everything, it wouldn't be much fun. I get enough arrogant aholes in regular life that I don't need to watch them on TV, I just don't find abusive people entertaining. No amount of skill or ability justifies that level of sheer aholery.

6. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Yup, thanks for your concern! :)

Rumbledore likes this.
  7. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    'sides which, I haven't heard that Jaco or Geddy treat(ed) people that way. Jaco destroyed himself, ok, sure, but that's not the same thing. And yeah, I've gotten flak for saying that in a Jaco thread too...

8. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    I also find Ramsay unwatchable. (Yes, his name is Ramsay.) Great chef and successful restraunter, indeed, but no one should be lauded for harassment.

-Asdfgh- and Rumbledore like this.
  9. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Anybody who thinks Gordon Ramsay is unusually obnoxious or just acting probably hasn't read Anthony Bourdain's book Kitchen Confidential. ;)

Screen Shot 2018-08-25 at 2.15.31 PM.

knumbskull and Fishheadjoe like this.
  10. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    The fact that there are lot of jerks doesn't make being a jerk any more ok...

-Asdfgh- likes this.
  11. OldDog52

Jan 1, 2011
    If Bourdain is to be believed, restaurants, and their kitchens in particular, are shall we say rough-and-tumble workplaces. ;)

Rumbledore, Microbass and hrodbert696 like this.
  12. Rumbledore

Rumbledore Banned

Jun 2, 2018
    peninsula
    ^This makes much better sense than just posting negativity, a pile of poopie, and mad emoji. Thank you for your clarification that you have a legitimate personal reason for not being thrilled with his personality, but I believe you are short-sighted on that point.

I believe his intentions are to do good, whether or not he regularly flys off the profanity handle, that makes for interesting television (obviously apparent to his viewership, sponsorship credentials, and me).

To agree with you that he is arrogant, isn't going to happen. I think there is a definition barrier on that note;

If by chance you haven't seen, or follow his show "Kitchen Nightmares", I can assure you, no arrogance is present. He is passionate in the realm of quality in every aspect of a restaurant's workings, and assists in raising the (figurative) bar of owners and their staff toward success for them in their market(s) -- which clearly displays the exact opposite of arrogance actually. In fact he is humble, fun-loving, and betters himself in as many aspects of his life as possible, and has been awarded for this by critics in his community.

In many regards, and when in less-pressuring environmens than a "heated" service, he is all smiles and family-focused. During his shows, he is shown to have a warm heart despite his unusual, sometimes shocking behavior. TV editing professionals try to show balance, but also must cast for entertainment, of which said behavior is of sorts.

Could take a page from his (figurative) book on high standards, which I understand to be a noble quality of respectful manor.

His show(s) have/has caused me to become more, and highly skeptical of unpopular restaurants in my area, and has also caused me to avoid places that resemble any sort of kitchen nightmare. This does at least these two things; 1.) I haven't eaten disgusting food at any restaurant or have been expected to pay for said meal, 2.) I'm on the look-out for, and actively (yelp review and) avoid restaurants whose owners and/or staff have "mentality checked-out", or are diluted in regards to general food-handling, food-safety standards, cleanliness, and customer service, whilst not providing my money to be so further abused by any resturant's misunderstanding of proper dealings.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
    bholder likes this.
  13. OldDog52

Jan 1, 2011
    I completely get why Gordon Ramsay is repelling to some viewers. I know people who can’t stand his “arrogance”. They think Gordon Ramsay the person is a bully and a boor. I try to explain what he does but it’s always futile. So now I just let it go.

In the update to Kitchen Confidential, Bourdain did say things have generally improved in restaurants since he originally wrote the book. But overall, KC is still an accurate portrait of the restaurant business (not chains or fast food).

Rumbledore likes this.
  14. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Seems to me you could've done those things equally as well without watching the show... I don't need some shouting swearing abusive jerk (yes, I still believe he is one) to know that a bad restaurant sucks and is to be avoided.

Rumbledore likes this.
  15. Rumbledore

Rumbledore Banned

Jun 2, 2018
    peninsula
    ^
    ^ herewithin lays fault in that argument :)

16. Rumbledore

Rumbledore Banned

Jun 2, 2018
    peninsula
    You're a great guy imo! No offense meant at all, nor do I have any intention to hurt your, or anyone's feelings.

I hope to be supportive within our TB community whenever possible so that we better ourselves, just as Mr. Ramsay intends. He, for me, is a role model in a sense. These are priceless teachings that we can recall throughout our lifetime(s), just weed-out what doesn't fly in your company...good to go!

bholder likes this.
  17. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    I also try to be supportive of folks here and good decent folks in general. Maybe this Gordon Ramsay is a good decent person deep down inside somehow, but in my experience, abusive jerks are usually that way to their very core. I work with several of them. They do have to operate with rather more subtlety in our work environment, but if they could, they'd be ever bit as much verbal abusers as he is.

-Asdfgh- likes this.
  18. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    You don't get people to better themselves by screaming insults and swearing in their face. Maybe there are some folks out there who thrive under such treatment - I am definitely not one of them.

-Asdfgh- and Rumbledore like this.
  19. OldDog52

Jan 1, 2011
    Bourdain’s book makes the case that restaurant kitchens are often uniquely hellish workplaces. Not necessarily because a particular chef is abusive (if “the chef” even exists or works in the kitchen). Crazy owners, non-English speaking staff (essential to most restaurants), hot poorly ventilated kitchens, frequent injuries (burns, cuts), no-show employees, crappy unreliable food suppliers, etc. The restaurant business in general is very tough and what goes on behind the scenes can be shocking to outsiders. Hence the title: Kitchen Confidential.

Read the book, then see if your view is altered. ;)

20. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    I understand all of that, I have a close friend who very nearly went into an elite French pastry chef school (on a full ride scholarship) - until she discovered how ugly the business was. And all of that stuff is ugly, sure, but still doesn't justify the way Ramsay and his ilk act. Nothing does. I get being passionate about one's business, sure, that still doesn't justify harassment and abuse.

-Asdfgh-, fdeck and OldDog52 like this.