1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help a compression newbie!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Funkee1, Oct 12, 2013.

1. Funkee1

Funkee1 Commercial User

Jul 19, 2002
    Texas
    Guitar Center
    Guys, I recently acquired a Boss CE-2 compressor/ Sustainer. I've been playing for 34 years, and have only used a compressor,and only when it was operated by an engineer!

So far, when I use it, it just seems to decrease my volume.

Where should it go in my signal chain?

For the record, I use an active Spector, A Behringer Ultrabass head (For now.... I have a Markbass LMII in repair), a Bass Chorus, and Octave pedal, and a SansAmp Bass driver DI!

I like the effect of the compression, but not as much as the tone without it!

Please advise! Thanks!

2. seescottrock

seescottrock

Apr 13, 2011
    Utica, NY
    It should go first in the chain generally, and you increase your output volume on the pedal to make up for the volume drop, generally. You may want to dry leaving the attack control below noon, and play with the sustain control, then increase the level control till you are back at unity gain.

Option 2 is to save some for a better, more bass centric compressor like a Demeter or the MXR M87.

3. Funkee1

Funkee1 Commercial User

Jul 19, 2002
    Texas
    Guitar Center
    Well this one was free!

4. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    Check out ovnilab.com

5. Fiset

Fiset I do a good impression of myself

Jan 13, 2007
    New York
    I disagree with the idea that a compressor goes anywhere "generally." Tons of variables determine the placement of your compressor. For example, I never want my compressor before my envelope filter or my octaver or sometimes my overdrive, depending on the overdrive. There are times I place it at the very end to help recoup signal loss through the entire chain.

In other words, I move my compressor around depending on what I'm trying to achieve soniclly.

OP, try your compressor in a few different places. Try it after your octaver, before your BDDI. Try it last, try it first. Its been a long time since I used a Boss compressor (I remember not liking it very much) and I assume you mean a CS-2 not a CE-2...but adjust your level higher and see what happens. Although I remember there being a fair amount of hiss with the CS-2 I used.

Good luck (and think about some better compressors if you're convinced you need one in your chain).

6. flbass82

flbass82

Apr 3, 2013
    Florida
    +1 Great info on the site regarding tons of compressors...