1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help bass id please (japenese content)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by zackthompson, Aug 3, 2012.

1. zackthompson

zackthompson Endorsing Artist: MJC Ironworks Strings Supporting Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Virginia Beach
    I'm trying out this bass that my uncle had tucked away in his house. I was told it was made around 1969. Controls are vol/vol/tone with 2 switches that say mic 1 and mic 2. They work as a pickup selector. Chrome pick guard. Baseball bat for a neck haha. It has a massive radius. Telecaster style headstock. Not shown is a barrel bridge. The odd thing is that the pickups pick up sound from anything. I can tap any part of the bass with my finger and it picks up the thump. The thumb thing at the bottom isn't original obviously. The only words on the whole thing are "made in Japan" written on the neck plate (not shown). Could you help identify who made it? Thanks. Here are some pics

Attached Files:

2. Avalon

Avalon

Feb 28, 2009
    It appears to be an old Teisco or Kawaii product. Generally speaking, they are not considered very good instruments, but yours looks to be in excellent shape for its age.

If you want to do some playing on it, why not take it to a luthier that knows what he's doing and have him check out the neck. It probably just needs a set up and maybe a cleaning of the input jack with white vinegar and a q-tip swab.

If it is set up well, it could be a pretty good player. The only deal breaker would probably be if he tells you the neck is twisted.

3. ShiftyShift

ShiftyShift

Mar 12, 2012
    This is most likely a Teisco or one of the many Teisco brands (Kingston, Harmony, Del Ray, many others) Although it looks similar to a 60's Carvin as well. There are Carvin ctalogs available online, I may be able to put a link in here.
    http://www.carvinmuseum.com/decade/65-basses.html

There you go. A one pup version of your bass.