Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

help bridge grounding

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mike1968, Jun 18, 2005.

1. mike1968

mike1968 Guest

Nov 12, 2004
    e'ville Indiana
    Good evening, I bought the mexi jazz I posted about online last week. Got some money knocked off for various things so I am into it for next to nothing . All was in really good shape except for the pickgaurd which for some reason had the pickup hole enlarged in a ugly way and the pickups where bottomed almost below the pickgaurd resulting in poor performance. easy fix, buy a pickgaurd sometime and I have already corrected pickup height. My only problem left is I have considerable buzz unless I touch the strings or bridge. I have an ohm meter as I work with electrical/ electronic circuits every-week-day of my life, just not on bass,amps ect.... I could check resistance between bridge and tone/ground connection on tone control. My ? is Does this sound like a poor or no grounding issue?Bridge has been upgraded to a gotoh and I suspect poor grounding.Please excuse my rambling as I have been drinking my wifes expresso she makes and it has me pretty wiggity

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    is the bridge ground wire connected to ground on the bass?

3. mike1968

mike1968 Guest

Nov 12, 2004
    e'ville Indiana
    I do not know and am not going to take the bass apart again tonight. I appreciate your response and could stand to look at the schematic on fender.com or elsewhere so I know what your talking about.