Help building garage/punk/noise rock rig....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by game_blouses, Mar 5, 2021.

1. game_blouses

game_blouses

Mar 4, 2021
    Hi y'all!! I just recently picked up my bass again (after years of not playing), started a band and need a bass rig that is in the $1500 range. I have been spending the last month browsing the web, the TB forums, reddit etc... and feel like I have narrowed it down to a few options. I currently play a Squier Matt Freeman P Bass w/ quarter pound pickups and I have an Ampeg SCR DI that I bought when it first came out (kinda looking to replace this with something else). I also have a Fender MIJ Jaguar bass that needs work. My drummer is loud and my guitarist has an Orange half stack. I would like to go for something similar to this tone:

Heads: I'm leaning towards the Quilter Bass Block 800 and building the overdriven tone with some pedals. I've also looked at the Gallien Krueger 1001rb and 700rb and contemplated the Darkglass heads.

Cabs: This is where I think I need the most help. I just really don't want a fridge hahaha. Maybe a 212 for now and then add another later or have 2 1x15's... Guitar Center website has a bunch of used bass cab's. I saw a Gallien Krueger 4x12 listed nearby for $900.

Pedals: I was thinking about the Darkglass Vintage Microtubes pedal or Tronographic Rusty Box to replace my Ampeg SCR DI as an always on pedal. Maybe build on top of that with a Fuzzrocoius Demon or Damnation MBD2.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

2. friskinator

friskinator Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Georgia
    With your budget (and volume needs), I'd look at the Barefaced cabs. Specifically one of their single 12" models. Finding them used is tricky, but if you go used on the other components you might be able to stay within budget.

Barefaced Audio Loudspeakers

3. cratz2

cratz2

Jul 8, 2019
    Indy, IN
    You could do the G-K MB210 II and the Darkglass and add another 2x10 if/when you needed it for more volume.

4. cratz2

cratz2

Jul 8, 2019
    Indy, IN
    Also be sure to check out the B3K pedal as well.

5. game_blouses

game_blouses

Mar 4, 2021
    Yea I love the sound of the super twin and also like the Mesa subway 2x15.....Might be worth figuring out a payment plan for em.

cratz2 likes this.
  6. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Paging @TonyP- for feedback on the GK Neo 412

7. game_blouses

game_blouses

Mar 4, 2021
    Someone on tb posted them playing a Gallien Krueger combo (might've been the 212) and it sounding pretty legit. The b3k with that might do the trick. I've already seen some pretty decently priced used ones over the vintage microtubes.

cratz2 likes this.
  8. game_blouses

game_blouses

Mar 4, 2021
    So........I ended up buying a fridge and an 800rb for under a grand hahaha. I was against having an 8x10 initially but I'm pretty happy with it. Now I have a decent budget for pedals!!

Gearhead17, johnnynitro and JimmyM like this.
  9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Ain't a bad way to go. I could see that rig and a good pedal totally copping that sound.

game_blouses likes this.
  10. chodehammer-jpg.jpg

game_blouses likes this.
  11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021