1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help - Crown XLS 802 and speaker

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Noddy Boulder, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Noddy Boulder

Noddy Boulder

Jun 11, 2012
    Hi,
    I have decided to get a speaker cab as I am having all sorts of trouble with my amp cutting out due to overheating. I have been using the cabs that are supplied at the venues, but because of all the trouble have decided to take my own cab and amp to the venues.

The amp I am using is a Crown XLS 802 that has the following specs:
    XLS802
    Dual
    4 ohms @ 800W
    8 ohms @ 500W

Mono-bridged
    8 ohms @ 1600W

One cab that I am looking at is an Eden D-410 XLT, which is rated RMS 700 at 8 ohms.

The other cab was a Carvin BR 410 rated 8ohms 1200w.

Would I be able to safely run these cabs with the Crown without it failing when running bridged or dual.

Which cab would be the way to go with the Crown? Looking forward to your replies!

Cheers

2. Noddy Boulder

Noddy Boulder

Jun 11, 2012
    :confused:

3. tbirdsp

tbirdsp

Sep 18, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    No way that amp should be overheating at any reasonable ( or even unreasonable) volume. How are you running it? You never specified how you are running it and what kind of speaker cabs they have at these venues.

4. Noddy Boulder

Noddy Boulder

Jun 11, 2012
    Hello,
    Thanks for the reply. Do you think that the unit I got is faulty?

Usually the cabs at the venues are Ampeg 8x10, but have had everything from Marshall to cabs with no names! The second to last gig was two Ampeg cabs 8x10 and 2x12 with no trouble.

I initially started using mono-bridged but it was over heating and cutting out after about 15 to 20 mins, about 50% of the gigs.

Then I tried just using one channel so had the 8 and 4 ohm options. This was a little more sucsessful compared to bridged, but the last gig I played was with Ampeg 8x10 and it failed about 15 mins. I don't play that loud on stage as the singer does not like too much bass on stage.

Any thoughts more than welcome!!

5. Noddy Boulder

Noddy Boulder

Jun 11, 2012
    Here is the set up;

Guitar - wireless - Zoom B3 - Avalon U5 - Crown - Speakers

I DI from the Mic out socket on the Avalon to FOH and use the line out socket to power the Crown.

Thanks

6. amimbari

amimbari

May 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    your crown is faulty. OR, the cab combinations you are trying to use are dropping the ohms so low that the amp can't handle it.

I run a crown xls2500 on 2 or 4- 200watt cabinets..the cabs tell me when I'm at the limit of volume they will produce and never, ever has that xls heated up playing many 80+degrees heat of the summer....

7. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I'm waiting for that little two watt light bulb to come on. In the meantime...

Are you switching out speaker cables when going back 'n forth between bridged mono and single channel? If not, you've got a problem.

Edit: in bridged mode, the max load is 4 ohm so if you're attempting to daisy-chain a s*&$load of cabs, you've got another problem.
    Riis

8. tbirdsp

tbirdsp

Sep 18, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    When running bridge mono you must use a correctly wired speakon cable. If you are just using a "normal" speakon cable you are not getting bridged power.

9. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    Do you verify the impedance before connecting your amp to their speakers? If not, you need to start doing that. If you don't know the impedance with any degree of certainty, you're not going to get any good answers.

"I don't play that loud" means nothing. To you, it may not be loud, but your amp could be sucking air because you're running it too hard.

You're not using a shielded cable, are you? You can't do that and you should check it to make sure. It's in the manual.

10. Noddy Boulder

Noddy Boulder

Jun 11, 2012
    thanks again for the replies. i always check the impedance and when i can't verify i use the head supplied at the venue. mono bridged is stated as 8 ohms in the manual. usually only running one cab. last gig did have two cabs and it ran a treat.

11. Noddy Boulder

Noddy Boulder

Jun 11, 2012
    oh, don't think i am running shielded cable.

12. peterbrown7264

peterbrown7264

Oct 9, 2013
    hi,
    i am planning to buy a new speaker so please give me some advises and name of models of speakers.
    top ten classified website

13. Noddy Boulder

Noddy Boulder

Jun 11, 2012
    if my purse could handle it epifini 410!

14. Noddy Boulder

Noddy Boulder

Jun 11, 2012
    i also have the special cable for the bridged mode, so that should not be the problem. i think that may be the amp is faulty!

15. amimbari

amimbari

May 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    did you open the amp cover and see how dirty it is inside, or did you check to see if the fan is so cruddy it is doing nothing?

16. Noddy Boulder

Noddy Boulder

Jun 11, 2012
    It is super clean inside and the fan is running fine. It actually cools me down on stage it is that powerful!!

I am thinking that I will have to put it in for a check but as I am in Japan I am sure that is going to be a pain!